Has Anyone Heard Of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Heard Of?

Giving a child mineral oil in their milk everyday to help have a bm? I have a 3 year old dck boy who has issues going and the nurse at their dr.s office told dcm to add 1 tsp of mineral oil to his milk every day. Well yesterday he had the most disgusting smelling poop and it was loose and up his back. I could tell he was getting ready to go and tried to get him on the potty and he had a melt down. Then 10 minutes later he says will you change me and sure enough he pooped. I think the mineral oil is making it loose and extra stinky. I think his problem is his eating habits. He hasn't ever ate a fruit or veggie for me, doesn't matter if it's raw or cooked. Dcm asked me what I thought I told her I would try to get him to have a bm naturally instead of using mineral oil, but apparently the mineral oil is easier.

Yep, I had to do that with my oldest son when he was a preschooler, per doctors advice. Luckily he outgrew that need within less then a year.

Comment

I used it with my oldest because we had some constipation issues related to potty training. It took a couple of months to get her sorted out and then I stopped it. It sounds like he doesn't need so much though....

Comment

It's probably better than that miralax. My son had problems because he wasn't a big drinker. He'd go up to 5 days. It's all in the fluid content - if you can get him to drink (not milk) lots, he'll be fine.

I think this is a pretty common problem in that age group.

Mineral Oil is a temporary fix. It shouldn't be used all the time.

I found that 2 prunes a day kept my son pretty regular - I just quartered them and he at them like raisins.

Comment

Baby food plums were my DD's trick--one jar was all it would take. She loved them, too. You could always put them into a bowl (I even love the things!) and call it plum sauce (like applesauce)
          Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

We had to use minerla oil for one of the teenagers (13 at the time). Long story short the specilist said not to use it for more than 2 weeks. For use it did not help. but that was more because the child would not take it everyday, and i feel I should not have to fight with a 13 year old about meds. he knows will help him.

Comment

My son had encopresis; we were told to give him either mineral oil or mag citrate. The mag citrate was incredibly sour so he refused that. He would drink the mineral oil but the only way he'd take it was with Coke or orange soda so that's what we used for him. That looked disgusting enough; I can't imagine what mineral oil and milk would taste and look like. Yuck!

Comment

My gf swears by Plum Smart for her granddaughter that has a lot of constipation issues.

I'm not sure I would use mineral oil for more than a day or two.

Some people think that if a little helps that a lot will work, which may be the case here.

Comment

Working...
                X