Lactose Intolerant Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lactose Intolerant Kids

Anybody have an lactose intolerant kids? If so, what were the warning signs? Does it affect their behavior? Sleep patterns etc?

My daughter is lactose intolerant. Not sure about behaviour or sleep patterns. Most people it affects their digestive system. So they get gassy, my daughter had LOUD burps and gas. Diarrhea or constipation, acid reflux symptoms, sometimes vomiting. Mostly tummy issues.

Comment

yup, my daughter has it too. very awful runny stinky diapers, very noticeable. she also gets horrible diaper rashes from the acidic poo. She does well sleeping, on a schedule and all that. She is very hyper and unfocused but I believe that to be her personality and not from the food issues (she has some other food sensitivities). we don't allow this to give her an excuse to not go with the program here or to misbehave. its pretty bad and not going away so it is likely that she will have to learn to work around this and not let it become an excuse for her. she drinks lactaid milk that has helped and we have changed her diet.

Comment

I have a child that has it. I don't see anything different about her behavior? I just have to watch what I feed her, but the good thing, is the mom gave me these pills from walmart, and all I have to do is give her one right when she eats, and we have no tummy problems :-). So when it is not that easy for me not to cook with dairy, I can just give her that :-)

Comment

My daughter is intolerant to all dairy as well. We caught it when she was 6 months though so her behavior wasn't an issue. Her symtpoms were runny/goopy eyes, phlegmy chest, sneezing 20+ times per day and terrible eczema. Within 2 weeks of eliminating dairy the symptims disappeared.

Comment

3 out of my 4 kids are lactose intolerant/sensitive/allergic, dh, and two current daycare kids. The signs & symptoms are all over the place.

Dd(12)...had a ton of ear infections from 10mo-16mo. Chiro didn't work, but taking her off all dairy did. She was able to add back some dairy at 5yo, and now at 12yo is unrestricted except when her seasonal allergies act up. She has to cut out dairy or she is miserable even with meds.

dd(9), has horrible behavior...mimics ADHD....horrible decision making, immature play, and no follow through on anything remotely responsible.

fosterson (21mo)- more typical. bad reflux as a baby. Eczema. Carried through to 14mo, he would wake screaming for hours at night if he even ate a cheese cracker or nilla wafer, anything with any dairy. He can now tolerate cheese & some yogurt. Lactaid in the morning, if he has any after noon, he wakes at night again screaming. He drinks soy/almond/coconut milk.

daycare boy (2.5yo)was a reflux baby, is on Lactaid. He tolerates yogurt in the mornings, and some regular milk in the morning on cereal (for example) He also will wake at night if he has too much dairy throughout the day.

Daycare boy (5.5yo), is a completely crazy guy. Behavior is much better off milk. Otherwise he was on a fast track for meds for ADHD...he is still a spaz, just not as bad.

dh was a chronic bronchitis guy. That magically cleared up when we stopped buying dairy with dd#1, almost 12 years ago.

Comment

Both of my kids are lactose intollerant. My 6 yo DD gets phlem (spelling?) and coughs a lot as if she has a really bad cough. She also can get tummy aches and gas if she has enough dairy especially milk. She has a small reaction to lactose.

My DS is 11 months old and has been lactose since he was 6 months old. Well, we figured out he was lactose at 6mo old. He was a colicky baby and now I wonder if he was always lactose intolerant while I was breas feeding. He gets very gassy and gets awful tummy aches. He also spits up everything he's eaten if he has milk. He would sleep alot but would wake up suddenly in fits but the Doc summed it up to him being tired after being uncomfortable for a long time and then waking up suddenly because of tummy aches.

Comment

Thanks so much for the replies. I welcome anymore. I'm going to copy and paste the replies, minus the names, to a sheet to give to the parents. This child has never slept well, but it has really gotten bad in the last 2 months. Btw, she is 19 mos and was born a premie with stomach issues and bad reflux.
                Last edited by SandeeAR; 10-26-2011, 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Just a warning, my daughters tummy issues and what was diagnosed for years as reflux turned out to be Celiac Disease.
                  Not saying its the issue with your child, but its worth checking into.
                  Its a simple blood test, and could rule it out. We went for years being told she had reflux, but it was actually Celiac, which causes a lot of the same symptoms.

Comment

Working...
                  X