News Letter About Sick Kids/Staying Healthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Letter About Sick Kids/Staying Healthy

Im haven't really been one to hand out a newsletter although I would like to start. Does anyone have something they are willing to share talking about Cold and Flu season, the importance of keeping sick kids home, staying healthy ect ect ect...

I have many kids who came in this week so far and are sounding, looking and feeling awful. I want to remind parents in a nice way but am not the greatest at putting my thoughts into writting.

I just got a newsletter in the mail from our local hospital. If they have in online, I will copy/paste it here.

It basically touched on all the big points on prevention: good amounts of sleep, vit D, eating healthy(ditching the sugars), handwashing, covering coughs and sneezes, the flu shot. It went on about signs of illness, and the importance of low stress rest at home while ill.

Comment

I posted this on my preschool's blog last year right about this time (probably time to do it again ):

I wanted to address the colds that have been going around. Often when one child in preschool gets sick, everyone gets sick. Fortunately this time, the cold has been mild for most children, but with winter coming,
      I wanted to remind you what I do to stop the spread of germs:

- Washing our hands before eating, after pottying, after wiping running noses (this has meant a LOT of washing of our hands these past couple of days. Anytime a child wipes their nose or even touches a messy nose, I have them wash their hands.

- Temporarily removing toys from the classroom that children tend to put in their mouths (plastic food, pretend thermometer, etc).

- When a child does put a toy in his mouth, I have him/her give it to me and I sanitize it before putting it back.

- Daily cleaning of door knobs, banisters. And I sanitized a lot of toys this weekend and will continue to sanitize more this week.

- Temporarily removing all shared sensory activities (we have a pool outside filled with rice and corn to play with that I've taken out for now- will refill with new sensory materials at some point).

- I don't allow the children to share food.

What you can do to help:

- Encourage the older children to learn to wipe their noses themselves (and then wash hands ).

- Please follow through with children in making sure that they wash hands after wiping their noses.

- Teach good handwashing practices to children. We sometimes sing the ABC song while washing our hands so that the children know how long they should wash their hands for.

Hopefully this cold is on it's way out the door, but I'm sure there will be more to come. Also as a quick reminder, please do NOT send your child to preschool if:

- They have had a fever of 100 or above in the last 24 hours
      - They have had vomiting or diarrhea in the last 24 hours
      - They do not feel well enough to participate in daily activities
      - Their mucus is thick, green or dark gray (this may indicate an infection)
      - They are suspected of having an contagious illness (strep throat, hand, foot, mouth disease, etc --contact me asap in this case)

Let me know if you have questions!

Comment

We've had the most amazing 1.5 years since I switched to organics... grass fed... local... direct from the farmer... in season food. I'm trying to think of the last time a kid missed a day for being sick. I've either been really lucky or it's working really well.
        http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by Solandia View Post
          I just got a newsletter in the mail from our local hospital. If they have in online, I will copy/paste it here.

It basically touched on all the big points on prevention: good amounts of sleep, vit D, eating healthy(ditching the sugars), handwashing, covering coughs and sneezes, the flu shot. It went on about signs of illness, and the importance of low stress rest at home while ill.
          Thank you. I would love to see it

Comment

Originally posted by kendallina View Post
            I posted this on my preschool's blog last year right about this time (probably time to do it again ):

I wanted to address the colds that have been going around. Often when one child in preschool gets sick, everyone gets sick. Fortunately this time, the cold has been mild for most children, but with winter coming,
            I wanted to remind you what I do to stop the spread of germs:

- Washing our hands before eating, after pottying, after wiping running noses (this has meant a LOT of washing of our hands these past couple of days. Anytime a child wipes their nose or even touches a messy nose, I have them wash their hands.

- Temporarily removing toys from the classroom that children tend to put in their mouths (plastic food, pretend thermometer, etc).

- When a child does put a toy in his mouth, I have him/her give it to me and I sanitize it before putting it back.

- Daily cleaning of door knobs, banisters. And I sanitized a lot of toys this weekend and will continue to sanitize more this week.

- Temporarily removing all shared sensory activities (we have a pool outside filled with rice and corn to play with that I've taken out for now- will refill with new sensory materials at some point).

- I don't allow the children to share food.

What you can do to help:

- Encourage the older children to learn to wipe their noses themselves (and then wash hands ).

- Please follow through with children in making sure that they wash hands after wiping their noses.

- Teach good handwashing practices to children. We sometimes sing the ABC song while washing our hands so that the children know how long they should wash their hands for.

Hopefully this cold is on it's way out the door, but I'm sure there will be more to come. Also as a quick reminder, please do NOT send your child to preschool if:

- They have had a fever of 100 or above in the last 24 hours
            - They have had vomiting or diarrhea in the last 24 hours
            - They do not feel well enough to participate in daily activities
            - Their mucus is thick, green or dark gray (this may indicate an infection)
            - They are suspected of having an contagious illness (strep throat, hand, foot, mouth disease, etc --contact me asap in this case)

Let me know if you have questions!
            Thank you! This gives me a fantanstic start

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
              We've had the most amazing 1.5 years since I switched to organics... grass fed... local... direct from the farmer... in season food. I'm trying to think of the last time a kid missed a day for being sick. I've either been really lucky or it's working really well.
              Thats awesome!! Is it true about local farmers and allergies too? Someone once told me to help with my seasonal allergies I should find the most local honey and use alot of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaycareMama View Post
                Thats awesome!! Is it true about local farmers and allergies too? Someone once told me to help with my seasonal allergies I should find the most local honey and use alot of it.
                I've heard that too but I can't say for sure. I've only been on the clean food thing since March of 10 so it's way too early to tell.

It may be good luck. I'll need a couple more years at it before I will know for sure.
                http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Nannyde... It sounds like its working great!

Comment

Working...
                  X