Second Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Job?

How many of you have a second job outside the home? Say 1 or 2 nights a week and every other weekend. I'm thinking of taking a second job like this at my favorite clothing store here in our town. It would be great to have some extra $$ and some adult contact... the clothing discount would be great too!

I currently do daycare M-F 530am-530pm and have kids the whole time. I have 2 older girls myself... ages 6 and 9. I bowl on Wed nights and every other Sat night and run my oldest daughters girl scout troop as I'm the leader. With all this do you think I would be burning the candle at both ends?

I do "VIP-PRN" (means "as needed support personnel" but only when I feel like it)

This is typically only one to two days a month and even that can get difficult to juggle during the School Year and Holiday Season.

Maybe start with one night a week? :confused:
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

If it is just for spending money and it is not necessary then I don't think you should do it. Just my opinion. you sound very busy and this will be even more time away from your kids.

Comment

Yes it would be just spending money...

Comment

so does girl scouts meet every week B/C if they do with bowling girl scouts and the job you are thinking about you would be away from the house 4 nights a week can the "house" handle that.

Comment

I took a 2nd job working at a company that says newspapers. It was a 6pm - 9am job so part time and it didn't really pay very well but it was extra $$. After 2 yrs I just got burned out. There was no extra time with the family and I also had to work a couple sat. out of the month. At the time I only had one little guy to watch and he was getting older to be able to have a playmate so I quite and found a friend for him which equaled to what I was making at the office.

Comment

Originally posted by familyschoolcare View Post
              so does girl scouts meet every week B/C if they do with bowling girl scouts and the job you are thinking about you would be away from the house 4 nights a week can the "house" handle that.
              Girl Scouts is one Sunday a month from 2-4pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Mother View Post
                I took a 2nd job working at a company that says newspapers. It was a 6pm - 9am job so part time and it didn't really pay very well but it was extra $$. After 2 yrs I just got burned out. There was no extra time with the family and I also had to work a couple sat. out of the month. At the time I only had one little guy to watch and he was getting older to be able to have a playmate so I quite and found a friend for him which equaled to what I was making at the office.
                I can't legally take in anymore kids to make some extra $$. Getting burned out is my biggest fear.

Comment

one day a week would not be enough spending money for me...Couldnt pay me enough to take any more time away from my family.

But if you are really needing the adult contact and feel it would benefit everyone, then I would say do it...

Comment

I think that if you find something you absolutely love and get some adult time that pays then go for it. For me...I didn't love the job but I loved the adult and $$ well until they done away with bonuses and dropped our pay to $7 from $9. Then it just didn't feel worth it.

Comment

I do my nursing job a few hours a month on the weekends. About 10-15 hours a month. It is my "get out of debt money" and eventually I hope for it to be my "vacation/fun money"

Comment

The whole reason for me starting my daycare is to get away from my second job at Lowes. Its killing me to work nights and weekends and not be with my darling wife all the more. And i know shes super tired of working full time too
                        "God said, ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart. He will do everything I want him to do.'"
                        Acts 13:22

Comment

Because in my past life I was an esthetician/massage therapist, I do spa parties for girls and women as a side job which works out great because they are usually always on the weekends and I make really good $ doing them. Plus, they are SO FUN that it is hardly like work anyway. Not to mention the two businesses sometimes feed one another.

Comment

Working...
                          X