What Would You Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would You Do?

I only had one daycare child. I'd been trying to get more kids with no luck, other then a sibling group that didn't work out since mom worked evening hours.

The mom to my one child changed jobs at the start of the year to a second shift job. So I picked up DCB from K-gar. Either her or her live-in BF would come get him.

When his DCB would get sick, he would miss like a week of school (3 weeks ago was the second time that he missed a whole week of school).

She claimed that she missed work during that week because he was sick and she had to give him breathing treatments every 3 hours all night long.

She said said that she lost her job because of this. And that she could not pay me during that time because she had no money. What was I suppose to say?

She kept telling me not to worry that she called her last job and asked for work there and knew they would take her back and she applied for a bunch of other jobs at places. That she's have a job by the end of the week or so.

Well this was two weeks ago. I called and left a message last week for her and then just two days ago sent a text message. I've not heard back from either.

I do have in my contract that I need two weeks notice. "If for some reason you decide to stop bringing your child to my house I require a two-week written notice. This will give me time to find a child to fill your child's spot. Payment is due for the two-week notice period whether or not the child is brought to daycare. Any outstanding fees must be paid on or before the child's last day. "

My DH thinks I should just let it go since he's my only one and she knows that I've been unable to fill any other spots.

I find it hard to believe that she found someone else to pick him up from school at 11:00 and watch him for as little as I did (4 hours a day M-F for only $50). I gave her that price before I really started looking into prices in the area and found that no one else give discounts for half days. Plus I picked him up, even though I didn't live far from the school.

I didn't have any problems with the DCB at all! I think in the 6-7 months he was with me he sat in time out 2 times. The only problem I had was with her and payments. She was always telling me how she had checks bouncing.

I guess I should just let it go, I don't really want to deal with her anymore. But even though it was only $50 a week, that was $200 a month and I needed it.

Looks to me like she is now avoiding your calls. I understand that she is your only dc child and it makes things tough. If you really want to work with her (I personally wouldn't) then call her again and leave her a voicemail addressing your concerns. I don't understand why some people are afraid to just say what's on their minds. Tell her that you understand that she's in a finincially difficult position but that she is putting you into a financially difficult position as well. You have tried to communicate with her and she has not responded and all you need to know is whether or not you should keep her spot available to her or not. If she has found care elsewhere that is ok but you would appreciate the courtesy of a phone call. If she has not found work then you would at least like to know that also. I find it hard to believe that she could find and start work in so little time. She would have to apply (one week), then have it reviewed and called in for an interview (one week) and then be told whether or not she would be hired (sometimes another week). Once she starts work she wouldn't get paid until another two weeks later.

Another concern that I have is why you have so many openings. What are you doing to advertise your daycare home? What do you say when potential clients call to ask about your services? What special services to you offer? Meals? Snacks? Do you have people interested that come to see your home or do often not hear back from them? What are your hours? What are your rates? Do you have a good contract and solid policies? When a potential client comes to your home are they comfortable? Is there enough light? Do they enjoy your home? Do they have any concerns? Is the home safe? What are the questions that they ask of you? What questions to they ask you? Are you comfortable? Are you nervous? I bet there are a lot of things that you could point out and advertise that would help you stand out more that would be free.

Comment

personally, i would just let it go. to me, its not enough money to make it worth fighting over, and i would be glad just to be done with it. advertise and try to get some new families. good luck!!!!

Comment

The economy is horrible right now, I totally understand having many openings. I have talked to some providers in my area that totally folded because their clients worked at factories that laid off and practically closed their doors. Times are tough and jobs are scarce, maybe it just depends on the area you live, but at 15% unemployment here in our county, it's not looking too bright and hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
          Another concern that I have is why you have so many openings. What are you doing to advertise your daycare home? What do you say when potential clients call to ask about your services? What special services to you offer? Meals? Snacks? Do you have people interested that come to see your home or do often not hear back from them? What are your hours? What are your rates? Do you have a good contract and solid policies? When a potential client comes to your home are they comfortable? Is there enough light? Do they enjoy your home? Do they have any concerns? Is the home safe? What are the questions that they ask of you? What questions to they ask you? Are you comfortable? Are you nervous? I bet there are a lot of things that you could point out and advertise that would help you stand out more that would be free.
          Because there is just not a need in this town right now. And there are so many others looking for DCK's. I've run ads, I have one running right now. Basically you don't get phone calls. Last time I ran an ad for 6 days I had 1 phone call (and basically the women asked my rate for I think a sibling group of like 3, I even went as far as calling back a few days later to see if they found child care and she said she was calling for a friend, so I think it was just another caregiver looking for rates).

The sibling group I had came from an ad that the mother was running for child care. She said she had TONS of calls. I was lucky to get them but 11pm was just too much for me. I think the reason she went with me was because I was willing to do evenings but I was told that normal time was 7-8pm and that one week she was working for someone else until 11 and that it would not normally happen, then 2 weeks later it was 11pm again for a few days.

If I was having phone calls and interviews in the home and not getting kids that would be different. But I'm not.

I also let my friends and family know that I'm looking.

I need to put a new flyer up at the grocery store, since my old one got took down. But that's the only place in town that I know of that you can hang a flyer.

And since there's not been a major need, I am running an ad looking for school age kids for the summer since I figure that would be a coming need soon.

Comment

That stinks! I'm sorry she didn't give you the required 2 weeks notice. I personally would also let it go. Yes, I would be steamed about the lack of notice but I'd try to think positive about the future & focus my energy on attracting new clients. You mentioned before you wanted to do the summer camp thing have you started advertising for it? I personally think it's a good idea & I hope you can attract some new clients!

Comment

Originally posted by janarae View Post
              That stinks! I'm sorry she didn't give you the required 2 weeks notice. I personally would also let it go. Yes, I would be steamed about the lack of notice but I'd try to think positive about the future & focus my energy on attracting new clients. You mentioned before you wanted to do the summer camp thing have you started advertising for it? I personally think it's a good idea & I hope you can attract some new clients!
              That's what I have an ad in the paper for now. It was in Friday and Saturday last week with no calls. I have 4 days this week that it will run. My fingers are crossed. I hope I get some calls this week.

I really think that this is what people might need coming soon. I also have it listed that I can do spring break, so people might at the last min realize that they don't have anyone to watch their child during that week.

If I don't get any children, I might have to look for work myself. But I don't want to look for child care. That's one of the reasons I stopped working. And now my son has food allergies that I just don't want to have to worry about someone feeding him something he can't have.

Comment

Wow that really stinks. We have a high unemployment too (14%) but when I started having issues a few years back in keeping full I began accepting subsidized care. I know that other providers don't like to accept it but when times are tough you do what you have to. I have a waiting list now and have higher rates than others but I know i'm not the highest. It's strange to me why I have a wait list when there are others that don't but charge less. Having subsidized care has given me single moms that are still going to school and such so I just weed out the bad seeds through the phone and home interviews. That may be a way you want to go to get spots filled, at least until you get a family or two. Then if you decided to you can give the subsidized families notice or if you liked them you can keep them and just not accept any more.

Comment

Originally posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
                  Wow that really stinks. We have a high unemployment too (14%) but when I started having issues a few years back in keeping full I began accepting subsidized care. I know that other providers don't like to accept it but when times are tough you do what you have to. I have a waiting list now and have higher rates than others but I know i'm not the highest. It's strange to me why I have a wait list when there are others that don't but charge less. Having subsidized care has given me single moms that are still going to school and such so I just weed out the bad seeds through the phone and home interviews. That may be a way you want to go to get spots filled, at least until you get a family or two. Then if you decided to you can give the subsidized families notice or if you liked them you can keep them and just not accept any more.
                  I'm not licensed yet, but plan to soon. I have to wait for the next class in my area, which is not until next month. There was one in a town 30 mins from me last month but no one but me signed up so they canceled which really sucked. I don't think I can do subsidized care until then. Once I get licensed it might help too since my name will be on a list when people call looking for care.

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                    I only had one daycare child. I'd been trying to get more kids with no luck
                    @Persephone - I sent you a PM. Please answer and let us know if we can help.

Comment

I'm not licenced, but I can accept subsidy. I just started in Dec. for a current family. It's a bit a pain to have to wait to get paid, but I also state that whatever CCIS(what it's called in my state) doesn't cover for my total rate, the parent is responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by melissa ann View Post
                        I'm not licenced, but I can accept subsidy. I just started in Dec. for a current family. It's a bit a pain to have to wait to get paid, but I also state that whatever CCIS(what it's called in my state) doesn't cover for my total rate, the parent is responsible.
                        I'll look into it.

Comment

Good luck with everything in getting your license soon. Yes it is an added benefit to be added to the refferal list when you are licensed and hopefully you can take at least one family's subsidized care without having a license. Here in CA they make things so difficult, we can't be placed on the refferal list or accept subsidized care unless we are licensed. The only ecception in subsidized care is when you watch someone's kids that are related to you. Let us know if she ever gets back in touch with you.
                          Last edited by Michael; 03-09-2010, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X