The Kid That ALWAYS Has To Pee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kid That ALWAYS Has To Pee

I have a DCG that just turned 4. She has been here a little over 9 months and has been potty trained since the age of 2.5.

Over the past few months, I have noticed a HUGE increase in the amount of times that she is using the restroom.

Example: yesterday she had to go 3 times in less than a 30 min time frame. This happens A lot. It always seems like when we are about to start something, like outside play or circle time, she has to go.

I talked to DCM about it. She said that she has never noticed this before. DCG is only here two days a week for about 8.5 hours each day. She also goes to another provider one day a week.

I have tired to have DCG learn to hold it, but that has not been working. The other day we were on a field trip and ALL of the kids and I spent almost an hour total in the bathroom because every 15 min or so DCG had to pee.

I don't know what to do or how to go about this. I have not mentioned it to the parents in a while, as they seemed to not be bothered by it. I also know that there are illnesses and diseases that could be linked to this.

I do have set bathroom breaks and allow for the children to use the restroom as needed. the last time I asked DCG to try to hold it, she wet her pants and cried for hours...I felt horrible.
    Last edited by daycare; 10-04-2011, 12:29 PM.

Is she really going to the bathroom each time or just going in there to get out of doing something? I actually have one that I have to watch because they will just go into the bathroom and stand there.

When she goes is she going alot? I would watch that also. If she isn't could she have a possible bladder infection or something along that line? Maybe ask the mom to ask the other provider if she is doing the same thing there.

Also, let the mom know that if she keeps this up she can't go on field trips and such because it takes to much out of the trip to keep running to the bathroom.
    Each day is a fresh start
    Never look back on regrets
    Live life to the fullest
    We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

does she drink a lot? I have kids who walk around with sippy cups of water all the time (at home, not here). Here they have to put them on the counter, but they will still drink and drink and drink. Good for them, I guess, but I have never been that thirsty.

Wierd question, but is there a "fruity" odor when she urinates? Assuming......you get close enough to smell it. Apparently, that is a sign of juvenile diabetes, as well as the excessive peeing.

On the other hand, maybe she just has a small bladder...

Comment

I have not gone into the bathroom, but I watch from the door and she is going a fair amount. It has been going on for about two months now so I am not sure it would be a bladder infection? Wouldn't have gotten worse by now if it was? hmmmm

I do not allow for kids to walk around with drinks. Mom did say that she drinks more here than at home, but I am on the food program and only give drinks during meal times or when the weather is hot, we add a few water breaks here and then when needed.

Honestly, this child does not consume a lot of food or beverage while here.
        I will have to have mom ask the other provider.

thanks for giving me some feed back and helping me think this through more..

Comment

excessive peeing is a sign of of juvenile diabetes.

it is worth looking into the other symptoms. My Father is a Type 1 and peeing a lot was one of the first signs his mother noticed when he was 6.

Maybe it is no big deal...or maybe it is ....worth looking in to.

Comment

I am very aware of this as my ex was a severe diabetic. I have not brought it up to the mom, becuase I don't want her to think that I am trying to play doctor to her child.

I am sending her an email right now..

thanks again for the reminder fo this

Comment

Definitely mention the type 1 diabetes to the mother.

Comment

Hopefully she is due for a well check up and encourage the mother to mention the frequent urination to her pediatrician. ("Sally has been making unusually frequent bathroom trips. You might mention it at her next well visit.") At that age they do ask for a urine sample for testing for diabetes so hopefully they will check this out.

Another problem could be UTI. I would imagine the child would complain of burning or pain when urinating though.

That said, I personally have a pint sized bladder and have to go a lot after drinking very little. My oldest son was the same way to the point that his Middle School Math Teacher insisted we return with a Dr's. Note regarding it. We had him tested up one side and down the other only to find that he had no more than a small bladder. (He didn't hate Math either - he excels in it.)

Sometimes I think the children like to see what the bathroom looks like when they go to different places. Take going to a restaurant for example. Watch how many children go more than once when you are there.

We currently have a 2 1/2 year old that is newly potty trained. It's a big deal now and he goes 4-5 times during the 3 hours he is with us. And I can't tell you how many times he washes his hands - 10-12 maybe? ::

Comment

I emailed mom and I did state that I am concerned as it is progressing since we last spoke about it. I am hoping that it is just the girl liking my bathroom or something to that nature, but I have actually listened/watched from the door her actually going.

I really hope its nothing!

Comment

I just had a DCM whose older daughter thought she had a UTI due to excessive urinating...but the doctor found out it's a yeast infection.

Comment

Working...
                    X