Toddlers, Snot, and More Snot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toddlers, Snot, and More Snot

YUCK. My handbook says that if your child is sick, ie --- the wonderful snotty nose continuously running syndrome, that I will care for them but to please give them meds to help control the snot and cough. Does anyone do it......heck no. So, I think, what choice do I have but to keep the child confined to a high chair, or in their pack in play. Otherwise, they are continuously wiping their hands in their snot and and putting their dirty hands on everything, or mouthing everything spreading the nasty germs, at least keeping them confined will contain what they touch and slobber on.

So, how do you deal with/handle kids with continuous snot and cough, and wiping it where it don't belong.

Originally posted by mac60 View Post
    YUCK. My handbook says that if your child is sick, ie --- the wonderful snotty nose continuously running syndrome, that I will care for them but to please give them meds to help control the snot and cough. Does anyone do it......heck no. So, I think, what choice do I have but to keep the child confined to a high chair, or in their pack in play. Otherwise, they are continuously wiping their hands in their snot and and putting their dirty hands on everything, or mouthing everything spreading the nasty germs, at least keeping them confined will contain what they touch and slobber on.

So, how do you deal with/handle kids with continuous snot and cough, and wiping it where it don't belong.
    I know this is so tough!! I know I have a toddler now that has a bad runny nose, she screams bloody murder when I wipe it!!

Comment

And when they do give them meds it's the wrong ones.

Me: "Did you give Jr. something for that runny nose?"

Parent: "Yep! :: Gave him Tylenol an hour ago."

Me: :confused:

I had to give out another copy of the illness policy to everyone that spelled it all out including what meds to bring if they aren't too sick to attend, but are having drainage issues that day. Parents STILL got it wrong and I ended up having to turn 2 kids away at the door the day after the parents got their reminders.

Comment

I totally get what you're saying, it is so irritating, oh and the I gave them tylenol, I have a parent that has done the same thing, hellooo tylenol isn't for a runny nose. Very irritating. You're constantly wiping their nose then have to wash your hands too, my hands get so dry.

Comment

Yuck!! I have a fillin girl who is 4 yrs. old, and has a runny nose, and crying today, and she is always wiping everything on her shirt. How disgusting!!! I have caught her doing this now about 10 times today!! I have kleenexes all over the house, and she knows where they are. You should see her shirt both sleeves YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have reminded this little girl probably about 30 times today, and she still doesn't understand to get a kleenex if her nose is running without me reminding her or she wipes it on her sleeve, when I don't notice her doing it!

Comment

With toddlers, I try to whipe it before they do and remind older kids whipe their noses.
            Last edited by Michael; 02-26-2010, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Actually 2 policies in my handbook are: No green snot (which I have since learned is no worse than clear snot because even clear snot can be contagious) and if their nose is constantly running they are not allowed to come....I do not have time to run after a child all day to wipe their nose.

As for just having snot everywhere....I HATE it! I'm a little of a germaphobe so I have to wash my hands like 10 million times a day and use hand sanitizer another 10 million times a day! Most parents understand it but once in a while I get the parents that try to drop off or call and say stuff like "little susie has a loud raspy cough and constant snot, can she come?" UHHH NO!

I recently had a mom that thought it was ok NOT to tell me her daughter had a fever off and on, a serious cough and tons of sneezing. About an hour after she got there and I saw all the symptoms I had to call Mom back to come get her....ended up she had RSV and in that short amount of time she gave it to another child here. Boy was I not a happy camper!

Comment

When the snot starts a coming...I start a runnin! I HATE SNOT! It is soooo gross. And the little ones wiping it everwhere. Yuck. I try to get to the snot before the kid does (usually my 2 year old is the worst) Every 3-5 minutes I am on that nose with a Kleenix. A pian in the butt, but better than snot all over everything.

Comment

I have an almost 1 yr old dcb who I swear every other week has a runny nose. I have told mom that when he has a runny nose I keep him in 1) booster sit at kitchen table 2) pack n play and 3) exersaucer. Apparently it doesn't bother her because she didn't say anything and she continues to bring him when he has a runny nose. Dcb has a cousin in my care also who is like the 1 yr old. I keep him by himself to play. I think some of their problem is that they are surrounded by smokers at home. But that is just my opinion.
                  1 yr old screams bloody murder when I try to wipe his nose. Frustrating and annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by melissa ann View Post
                    I have an almost 1 yr old dcb who I swear every other week has a runny nose. I have told mom that when he has a runny nose I keep him in 1) booster sit at kitchen table 2) pack n play and 3) exersaucer. Apparently it doesn't bother her because she didn't say anything and she continues to bring him when he has a runny nose. Dcb has a cousin in my care also who is like the 1 yr old. I keep him by himself to play. I think some of their problem is that they are surrounded by smokers at home. But that is just my opinion.
                    1 yr old screams bloody murder when I try to wipe his nose. Frustrating and annoying.
                    I do think that smoking lowers their little immune systems so I tend to agree. Plus, once the snot starts coming, it just continues through all the children. I also think they get sick less once they are in school full time because it helps to build up their immune systems.

Comment

The problem is, is that you can't buy over the counter medication for runny noses for young children. That's why parents give Tylenol. They don't have anything else to give them unless they want to give them a med that's not for young children.

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                        The problem is, is that you can't buy over the counter medication for runny noses for young children. That's why parents give Tylenol. They don't have anything else to give them unless they want to give them a med that's not for young children.
                        Loratidine or benydryl
                        I see little people.

Comment

Originally posted by Childminder View Post
                          Loratidine or benydryl
                          The Loratidine page says not to be use on children under 6 with out talking to a doctor.

Benadryl also says between 2-5 do not use unless directed by a doctor.
                          And under 2 do not use.

There is nothing safe to use for under age 2 over the counter. Other then some Vicks rub and some nasal spray to clean it out.

Both are for Allergies or Hayfever. Not something you would use for an every day cold. Unless it's the sinus(Benadryl allergy and sinus) one, and that one says not for children under 4.
                          Last edited by Michael; 02-26-2010, 08:42 PM. Reason: Took out links

Comment

If I recall correctly, there were products on the market to alleviate the symptoms of nasty colds in young children. Parents were stupid and abused the dosage amounts, so if I recall correctly, many of these products are still on the market, but now say for age 6 (?) and above.

Comment

Originally posted by mac60 View Post
                              If I recall correctly, there were products on the market to alleviate the symptoms of nasty colds in young children. Parents were stupid and abused the dosage amounts, so if I recall correctly, many of these products are still on the market, but now say for age 6 (?) and above.
                              Right, which means that those parents who were stupid in the first place and had them change the age would be giving their kids the wrong amount if they used them, and overdose their child.

Comment

Working...
                              X