Circle Time Disruptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circle Time Disruptions

I need some advice here. This year I have several children who really struggle during circle time. I’m not talking about simple wiggling or touching toys on a nearby shelf but actual disruptive behaviors. One child is always interrupting me when I am talking, another is punching a classmate sitting next to him, one keeps singing the Gummy Bear song or Baby Shark, and another actually gets up and starts running around the room. Other children follow and by them it’s almost impossible to continue on with the lesson. I realize that some kids need sensory tools during circle time and we have these available but a couple of these kids just end up throwing them at a classmate or the wall. My circle time isn’t long and I always break it up with active songs and movement games but these disruptions are constant and it’s not fair to the kids who actually want to sit and learn. It’s been suggested to have my assistant take these kids out in the hall when these behaviors start but I feel this is “giving in” to them. Yes, if it escalates to the point of losing control but I don’t want to be teaching them that if “you act up you get rewarded by getting to miss learning time.” It’s also been suggested that I split the group up ( separate the disruptive kids) and have 2 circle times. My assistant would take half the class to play a game and I would have the others sit for circle. Then we would change kids. Has anyone done this? Any other suggestions? My kids are 3.5-4.

This seems to be the sign of the times.......I've come to the conclusion EVERY CHILD can't have autism or ADHD or whatever; I think it is a fast-paced lifestyle with devices and a yes-parenting where children NEVER get told NO/WAIT/LET'S TALK ABOUT IT...so, rather than FIGHT about it we rarely do group time with large groups but informally take advantage of small groups.......If we notice 2-4 kids together somewhere we will make it a point to add in some learning for the day.....My MAIN GOAL, though, is social-emotional learning/self-regulating......I still have alot of what you posted going on even at lunch time some days because no one eats till snack and that's a control thing. So frustrating some days. BUT I've stopped beating myself up over it....just trying to roll with it and get those books read daily multiple times however I can.....It's hard to do anything beyond that some days. Hang in there!

Comment

Blackcat wrote this previously:

One of the first things I learned about circle time is that you invite the kids to join but never make them. It is suppose to be conducted in a manner that entices the kids to want to join the group but should never be something that all the kids have to participate in. If the subject or conversation is interesting enough they will come, if not they won't care and that is suppose to fine as well. I also agree, that toddlers do not have the capabilities to sit for that long and probably don't really care that we are even doing circle time because they would much rather play. I used to spend alot of time getting everyone to come sit down, time spacing them out, introducing a subject, reminding them not to touch each other, pay attention, listen and not talk while I am etc etc etc......now I sit and start circle even if only one kid is involved and sooner or later they all come over and join in and if they don't...oh well. It is much simpler for them and or me.​

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Blackcat wrote this previously:

One of the first things I learned about circle time is that you invite the kids to join but never make them. It is suppose to be conducted in a manner that entices the kids to want to join the group but should never be something that all the kids have to participate in. If the subject or conversation is interesting enough they will come, if not they won't care and that is suppose to fine as well. I also agree, that toddlers do not have the capabilities to sit for that long and probably don't really care that we are even doing circle time because they would much rather play. I used to spend alot of time getting everyone to come sit down, time spacing them out, introducing a subject, reminding them not to touch each other, pay attention, listen and not talk while I am etc etc etc......now I sit and start circle even if only one kid is involved and sooner or later they all come over and join in and if they don't...oh well. It is much simpler for them and or me.​

https://chat.daycare.com/forum/main-...ng-circle-time
        I recently needed some circle time inspiration and checked out a YouTube/child care provider that said she puts toddler in booster seats for the first part of circle time and then moved them to a small enclosed space while she finishes with the preschoolers. I was surprised that anyone would force toddlers to sit like that.

​​​​​

Comment

Working...
        X