Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly Diagnosed Autistic/ADHD Child

Good evening,
    We have an employee/parent who has 2 children and the oldest child is a newly diagnosed autistic/adhd. The child does well during the day except for transition time they have a total melt down and if they have to share a toy or do not get their way, they have a total melt down and they spit as well the other children, teachers anyone who is within their reach they spit on. Parent is at a loss of what to do they go to therapy once a week and we feel like it's not helping at all and it's more a behavioral problem as far as the spitting instead of an autistic/adhd problem. When the child spits they are placed in the office with another staff member until they are calm and can act appropriately. Parent/employee blames the other children for their child's behavior and claims they are kids and will do this type of thing. One incident was so bad this week the employee/parent took the child outside and had a firm conversation with them then disciplined them for it. The owner got wind of this and stated that it was not the other children that was the cause of this.

I am wondering if the facility is able or certified to handle a special needs child. There are tags placed on your comment that you can click on for each of the condition you wrote of that may help but this child may be better accommodated at a special needs facility.

Comment

Here's an update about the child that was diagnosed with autism/ADHD, owner wrote a letter to the parent/employee and stated that child was not allowed to come to the center unless employee/parent was scheduled to work. Parent/employee did not handle that well at all and had their relative to come to retrieve child and told relative they wanted to see the video footage of child when they do this type of thing because parent/employee did not believe it was happening and eventually child was pulled from care. Parent/employee stated that we were liars

Comment

• e.j.
        e.j. commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately, some parents are in denial when it comes to their child's behavior or special needs. Eventually, as she hears the same reports from others, she'll hopefully start to realize you all aren't liars. For her child's sake, I hope light dawns early and she gets him the help he needs. I've had discussions with a few parents here regarding behavioral concerns. One, in particular, refused to believe her child could possibly be autistic and refused to have her child evaluated. He's now in high school and based on things I've heard, he's having a really hard time in school both academically and socially. I doubt it could have been totally avoided but had he received the help he needed early on, he might not be going through as much as he is now. It's so sad.

• Springvalley
        Springvalley commented
        Editing a comment
        e.j. The behavior problems started way before this child was ever diagnosed with adhd/autism and even then it was bad but not this bad. The previous teacher we had never wrote a note or anything regarding this child and their behavior and was never told that the child had a bad day. All parent/employee was told was they had a good day and that was it. New teacher has been writing notes however she never makes copies of the notes to put into the child's file after again being told numerous times to make a copy so that it can be put into the child's file. These teachers are young an inexperienced but are learning now they may have to be told or reminded numerous times but they do it.
    Working...
    X