Newborn Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newborn Care

It’s been some years since I’ve had a newborn in care. The last few years my group has been 1-3 1/2 year olds, with kids starting typically around 16 months, so it’s been a while. But I had this dcm two older kids before they left for school, and she really wanted baby with me so I made an exception as I really wasn’t trying to go back to infants.
    2 questions: What do you have parents of infants supply you with. And how much clothing and bibs do you ask for? I don’t want to deal with diaper bags
    Also what’s your setup & routine for taking newborns outside with you? I don’t want to jeopardize our outside time, we all need it

They bring and leave
    2 full sets of clothing including socks (in a gallon zip lock bag with the child's name on the bag)
    Full week plus one day or more of diapers
    a package of wipes
    3 bottles and formula or breastmilk (new breastmilk brought daily, formula left here)
    2 pacifiers, if needed
    diaper rash cream
    Bug spray and sunscreen, as needed

I supply the
    food, as needed.
    bibs.
    bedding
    equipment
    and most anything else

Comment

• Alwaysgreener
      Alwaysgreener commented
      Editing a comment
      So I send home the clothes but sometimes I will wash them. Depends on if it is laundry day or if it was my fault the clothes needed changed. As far as the parents knows, I send home everytime.

Example: Recently a child spilled water on herself, changed her, set her shirt out to dry in the sun and changed her back before pick up. The parents have know idea that I changed her. The shirt she wore all day got thrown in the washer with the towels and was ready for the next week.

Here is the thing, if I am changing a baby clothes more than twice a day, then you got ask why?

If it is a blowout or spit up happens, then are they sick? If you use both outfits then it is a reason to call for a pickup.

So two outfits is enough.

• DeeDee
      DeeDee commented
      Editing a comment
      Hopefully it didn’t seem like I was laughing at your advice on two outfits. I really appreciate your feedback!

• Alwaysgreener
      Alwaysgreener commented
      Editing a comment
      No I believe I understood.

The second part of your question about going outside. Sometimes I have had to adjust my schedule to work with the babies on demand schedule. So when ever the baby naps in the am, schedule circle time or some table activity. Then have kids clean up toys or what not when I get the baby ready for outside.

I will take a bouncy seat out when they are really little, as they grow a towel or blanket with toys once they crawl, they are on their own.

I have baby sleds that I can sit the baby in instead of a bouncy, in the winter.

The older kids love helping with taking things outside for the baby, so everyone carries something.
    Last edited by Alwaysgreener; 10-06-2023, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Newborn care is a critical aspect of parenting that involves providing a nurturing and safe environment for a baby during the first few weeks or months of life. This period is filled with both joys and challenges as parents adapt to the needs of their new family member. Here's an overview of essential aspects of newborn care:

1. Feeding: Proper nutrition is vital for a newborn's growth and development. Breastfeeding is recommended by health experts as it provides essential nutrients and strengthens the bond between the mother and baby. However, formula feeding is a valid option for some families. Newborns typically need to be fed every 2-3 hours.

2. Diapering: Changing diapers is a routine part of newborn care. It's crucial to keep the baby clean and dry to prevent diaper rashes. Be prepared with a supply of diapers, wipes, and diaper rash creams.
      Last edited by Alwaysgreener; 10-24-2023, 06:19 AM.

Comment

I am licensed exempt in my state. My states requires children within sight or sound at all times. However, because I have mixed aged children, I can only have one infant at a time.

This year, I enrolled two infants. They were my first infants since 2020. The first infant was 9MO. By the time she started, she was ready for one long nap each day. She baby led weaned so she ate with the group after she had a bottle. When we went outside, she was on a blanket until she crawled off of it. The parents didn’t mind, they were very laid back, as was this child. Once she was over a year old and walking, I enrolled another infant, he was 7MO. He napped twice a day. During his first nap, we’d go outside. This worked in my state since I just have to be within sight or sound. I just took the video monitor outside with me. As he has grown, he’s now 10MO and will take one long nap so he just goes outside with us. He doesn’t baby led wean, so he has a bottle before he arrives around 8:30. He eats baby food around 9:30 with a bottle at 11 and then I will put him down for a nap around 11:45. He sleeps until about 2:30/2:45, sometimes longer. I will feed him a bottle before he’s picked up at 3:30. I am able to make lunch, get the big kids down and have a one hour break before he wakes up.

My babies are on their own schedule until they’re 12 months, but the last two I’ve had are close to the big kid’s sleep schedule around 9MO.

I require two bottles, two pacifiers, diapers, diaper cream to have on hand, baby food/snacks, breast milk/formula, and about three or four outfits, preferably onesies or sleepers. I provide bibs, teething toys, a bottle warmer and baby spoons.

I personally do not like to take newborns, I prefer 6MO+ because I NEED the mid-day break.

Comment

When parents enroll newborns, I typically ask them to provide essentials like diapers, wipes, formula or breast milk, and a change of clothes. For clothing, I recommend at least 5-6 onesies, a couple of sleepers, and a pack of bibs to manage spills and drool. Communicating clearly about not wanting a diaper bag and specifying that essentials be easily transportable in a small bag or backpack can help streamline. For outdoor time, I designate a shaded area and use a lightweight stroller or carry them in a baby carrier for short periods. Ensuring they are protected from the sun and comfortably dressed is a priority during our outdoor routines. The key is open communication with parents to align expectations and maintain the best care for the newborns in our setting. Mamaadoptation encourages a supportive community, so feel free to share more insights or ask for further advice!

Comment

When parents enroll newborns, I typically ask them to provide essentials like diapers, wipes, formula or breast milk, and a change of clothes. For clothing, I recommend at least 5-6 onesies, a couple of sleepers, and a pack of bibs to manage spills and drool. Communicating clearly about not wanting a diaper bag and specifying that essentials be easily transportable in a small bag or backpack can help streamline. For outdoor time, I designate a shaded area and use a lightweight stroller or carry them in a baby carrier for short periods. Ensuring they are protected from the sun and comfortably dressed is a priority during our outdoor routines. The key is open communication with parents to align expectations and maintain the best care for the newborns in our setting. Mamaadoptation encourages a supportive community, so feel free to share more insights or ask for further advice!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X