Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potty Training and New Policy

Hi all,

I commented in the venting thread about taking on a 3 year old and the parents wanting me to train DCG. I've drafted a new policy with thanks to all those that shared comments in the thread. It's set up so they'll have to be accident free for 2 weeks before they can come in nappies or pull-ups.

The problem is I've been training a couple of other children in the group who have been close but still have accidents every other. I know they won't learn if I leave it at home and they'll take a step back. But my new policy will mean I need to be consistent with those as well. What should I do in this scenario. I think they'll have accidents for a bit yet but they've not got the will at home yet. Should I stop and apply the policy to all?

thanks for the advice. I'm new to setting up policies for everything, having only recently brought in more formalities. So any advice or experience would be super useful.

I would send out the new policy with effective date for at least two weeks out to current families.

Any new families the policy would be effective at signing.

New families do not need to know that it is a new policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Alwaysgreener View Post
      I would send out the new policy with effective date for at least two weeks out to current families.

Any new families the policy would be effective at signing.

New families do not need to know that it is a new policy.
      Thank you! I think my issue is I don't know if I want to apply the policy consistently to all current students. I need the policy in place for some, but it might affect progress of some others. But I guess I don't know a way around this.

Do people allow any accidents within two weeks? Or is adding in ambiguity a bad idea?

Comment

Amy71452 I had a child potty training during lock down. He went from wearing a diaper to fully potty trained in 6 weeks. I allowed him to come back with out a diaper and he never had an accident. Another, older than him, did the same thing in two weeks at home when covid hit a family member and they could not attend for ten days. The youngest of the three fought being trained and wet his pull up for attention. I told dcm no more pull up and he stopped peeing himself.

Just this year I told dcm when I return from vacation I wanted Dcg to return in underwear, sure enough her daily changes stopped.

My policy is no underwear until they stay dry for two weeks. I made exceptions everytime because I knew the child enough to know that he or she was not having accidents but on purposes. As soon as I switched to underwear, those on purpose no longer happened.

I tell the parents that I have a feeling that the pull up has become a crutch, that I am still going to have pull ups on hand but that the child can come in underwear but one accident and he goes back into pull up. Then it never happens again. This is when I see a pattern and I feel that the child is ready.

Comment

Amy71452 I had a child potty training during lock down. He went from wearing a diaper to fully potty trained in 6 weeks. I allowed him to come back with out a diaper and he never had an accident. Another, older than him, did the same thing in two weeks at home when covid hit a family member and they could not attend for ten days. The youngest of the three fought being trained and wet his pull up for attention. I told dcm no more pull up and he stopped peeing himself.

Just this year I told dcm when I return from vacation I wanted Dcg to return in underwear, sure enough her daily changes stopped.

My policy is no underwear until they stay dry for two weeks. I made exceptions everytime because I knew the child enough to know that he or she was not having accidents but on purposes. As soon as I switched to underwear, those on purpose no longer happened.

I tell the parents that I have a feeling that the pull up has become a crutch, that I am still going to have pull ups on hand but that the child can come in underwear but one accident and he goes back into pull up. Then it never happens again. This is when I see a pattern and I feel that the child is ready.
          They're nowhere near the examples you gave so I think I'll have to chat to the parents and hope that discussion goes well! I'll give them a warning of the policy coming into place.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy71452 View Post

They're nowhere near the examples you gave so I think I'll have to chat to the parents and hope that discussion goes well! I'll give them a warning of the policy coming into place.
            When the child has an "accident" who is changes the child? You or the child?

I would always have the child do it.

Comment

• CeriBear
              CeriBear commented
              Editing a comment
              If it’s a pee accident I have the child do it themselves. They take off the wet clothes and put them in a bag and then dress themselves in clean clothes. If it’s a poop accident I always help them. I don’t want poop all over the bathroom floor and walls.

When the child has an "accident" who is changes the child? You or the child?

I would always have the child do it.
            I clear up the accidents, the DCKs wouldn't do it properly. Parents are sending in pull ups next week. I'm going to be consistent and wait until 2 weeks. From this and other conversations I've been taking too much of this upon myself so am not going to stress about it and have a cleaner house!

Comment

• Alwaysgreener
              Alwaysgreener commented
              Editing a comment
              I was talking about with them changing their clothes not cleaning up where they made the mess. A child that's potty training should be capable of changing their own clothes and wiping themselves but it's all part of potty training.

I send them to the bathroom, make them remove their pants, their pull up or underwear, place the soiled item into a bag, they wipe their front part and I will assist them wiping their back. Then they put on a fresh pair of pants and underwear or pull up, wash their hands.

Some kids hate changing themselves and will start using the toilet because they don't like doing it.

• Amy71452
              Amy71452 commented
              Editing a comment
              Despite asking I have to help with changing, parents seem to send them in loose clothes, but the spare clothes sent they can't fully get dressed in without my help, so I help them with all the changing
          Working...
          X