Should I Terminate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Terminate?

I have been dealing with a 12-month-old baby who does not take naps! As soon as I put him down for a nap, he starts to cry and doesn't stop! It's really annoying because he won't let the other babies take naps either and I don't get a break because of that. He has been at my daycare since a month ago and now I'm thinking of terminating the contract...
    The mom says he usually doesn't take more than 30 minutes of nap during the day at home.

The other issue I have with him is that he gets really anxious and cries as soon as I leave the room, for example, to go to the restroom, kitchen, etc.

If you were me, would you terminate the contract?

Welcome to the forum. Suggest you register. Here are some posts on Crying During Naptime. https://chat.daycare.com/search?sear...+naptime%22%7D

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      I have been dealing with a 12-month-old baby who does not take naps! As soon as I put him down for a nap, he starts to cry and doesn't stop! It's really annoying because he won't let the other babies take naps either and I don't get a break because of that. He has been at my daycare since a month ago and now I'm thinking of terminating the contract...
      The mom says he usually doesn't take more than 30 minutes of nap during the day at home.

The other issue I have with him is that he gets really anxious and cries as soon as I leave the room, for example, to go to the restroom, kitchen, etc.

If you were me, would you terminate the contract?
      You could and should if you feel it is more than you can handle. I have tolerated similar and found ways around the crying but then there have been times that I have not been able to handle it and hard to terminate.

I could ask the basic question, is...
      Is he full before a nap?
      Is he playing with the kids?
      Can you distract him so you can leave the room?
      If he is not sleeping at home ask what the doctor has to say about it?
      Have you tried a white noise machine?
      Can you put him in a separate space?
      Is he sleeping at all?
      Do you go outside before nap?
      Would he fall asleep if left in a swing or bouncer? (not saying you should nap him there, but I had a baby that would not sleep unless moving)
      Is he gassy?
      Does he have acid reflux?

Comment

Keep the parents in the loop on your expectations that a 12 month old will be napping in the daytime. Ask them whether they have seen any signs of a medical reason or if there are nighttime habits that you can't replicate (soft bedding in the crib, cosleeping, rocking to sleep and holding, falling asleep with a bottle).

Explain to them that a child who is unable to sleep in daycare is too tired to get through the daily program, is in distress, and is causes distress in the other children.

Every once in a while, that's enough to scare the parents into realizing that their kid will lose the daycare space unless they switch to safe sleep practices at home. Most of the time, it's not enough. They will blame you for not loving their child enough to do the attachment parenting thing they are doing at home, or whatever it is that their child is accustomed to.

But you will at least have given them a heads up that they can expect termination of the contract if their child has needs incompatible with what you can do.

Comment

The beauty of self employment is having the ability to control the amount of stress you have during the day.
          If one child is stressing you, your day or the other children in care, I would terminate care.

Comment

Working...
          X