Why Do I Feel Guilty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do I Feel Guilty

I’ve had a rough few months health and emotionally. Recently I had a family sign up for the free pre-K and give me a few days notice that they wanted me to take dcb to the school: I wouldn’t have minded since it’s only 2 blocks away but they told me on Thursday for starting that following Monday. The time of the pre-K doesn’t work at all. It’s smack middle of naptime and keeping dcb awake is a challenge so I’m stuck waking up a cranky dcb or struggling to keep him awake but quiet. It’s waking everyone else up making my days tougher. And throws off everything. I get zero break! Now next week I have an online appointment that I can’t miss without paying a hefty cancellation fee. It’s been booked for 6 months so rescheduling will be a nightmare. Now parents are acting annoyed with me but I wish they’d realize and understand that yes it’s an inconvenience to them once In a blue moon, but they’ve inconvenienced me every single day!!! I’m annoyed at myself for feeling guilty but I can’t help it

A dcd once told me I shouldn't feel guilty about taking the time off I needed. It would help me avoid burnout and allow me to be there for his dd until it was time for her to go off to school. I can't say I never feel guilty about taking time off, but he did help me to look at it from a different perspective. You have to take care of yourself in order to be there for everyone in your life - including your dc families. If that perspective doesn't work for you, feel guilty but don't cancel your appointment. The guilt you're feeling now is temporary; it'll pass and be forgotten soon enough.

Comment

• sahm1225
      sahm1225 commented
      Editing a comment
      It would cost me more to reschedule than I’d make caring for dcb the whole day so definitely not canceling.

I need to find some new families so I can replace the two who have stars on the calendar/

Choices/consequences for the parents.....THEY made the decision therefore THEY need to make the decision to get to and from pre-k. I got caught up in this over 20 years ago with a speech appt....WHAT was I thinking.....NEVER again have I done that!!!!

UNTIL we make parents ACCOUNTABLE for their choices, they will continue to do things like this to us.

I've said bunches of time, I DO NOT think parents are trying to be mean but they don't think and I'm good at what I do but I'm NOT a miracle worker and cannot solve everything.

Comment

• sahm1225
      sahm1225 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I needed to hear that: it’s so frustrating. I’ve been doing this for over 14 years and lately it feels like I can’t catch a break. Somehow my kindness is seen as a weakness and something to take advantage of instead of appreciated. It breaks my heart, but I’m burning out and seriously contemplating a career change. I’m tired of being looked at as less than and that it’s MY obligation to solve their problems

• Annalee
      Annalee commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear ya! Things are better for me at times but I still catch myself falling backwards...been int this too long to go back now.....have looked at many other jobs; even applied for some but just can't make the money I make now nor have the days off that I currently have; have my contract in place to benefit ME now. and raising tuition regularly.....I'm rolling! Hang in there!

Annalee - for me keeping me in the field is the flexibility to be home. My youngest has special needs & medically complex and misses school often and I need to be home

Comment

I understand how you are feeling. A few months ago, I was in your shoes. I felt burnt out and wanted to close my doors… but I wouldn’t make this kind of money anywhere else.

So I had to figure out what the problem was and I pushed several families out the door by setting boundaries and bringing in new families that would respect my boundaries.

A few months later, I am happier!! I take more time off than I ever had (including mental health sick days) and I work roughly 8-4:45 M-F. Every client enrolled has contracted days/hours. If I don’t want to work early/later or add an extra day for someone/swap days, I can easily say no because I have a contract.

I work for myself and I had to realize that I had to do what worked best for me and my needs, not for my clients.

Comment

Working...
      X