Molluscum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molluscum

I've had 2 families over the last 6 months with molluscum. I talked with my dermatologist about it, because I don't trust what parents tell me, and she said it's very contagious in water. I asked about pools with chlorine and she advised that it could still spread. We take the kids swimming once/week in the summer, so the child who still has it isn't permitted to swim. DCM is "acting" very understanding, but likes to make little comments. She commented that she still bathes her younger kids together, and the youngest (age 1) hasn't gotten it, so it must not be too contagious. WHY would you chance giving it to another child I know it doesn't hurt, etc, but it's still not pleasant to deal with. I see pics on social media of her kids swimming at public pools, private pools, ponds with other people in the water. I just don't get people!

People are just plain selfish and seemingly have zero ability or willingness to see things from other people's perspective.
    I bet this same DCM would flip if you told her a daycare child with some other "contagious" condition was swimming or in close contact with her child.

I manage these situations by reiterating to myself (daily ....sometimes multiple times a day) that it is not MY issue. I have rules and policies and make decisions based on what is best for me/my group as a whole and individual parents have a choice to accept my decision or not but I won't bend or waiver based on their adult "tantrum" (silent or verbal). If their comments or behaviors get to me or are unacceptable I will straight up tell them to either accept it or leave but I do not want to hear constant passive aggressive or veiled comments of displeasure. PERIOD.

Comment

Years ago, I had a dcg who had the same condition. Her mother told me it wasn't contagious and I believed her. I lucked out; no one else got it. Once I found out that it actually is contagious, I wasn't too happy about it but dcg had aged out of my daycare by then. I trusted this dcm and to this day, hope she was just misinformed and not deliberately lying to me. It did teach me to ask parents for a doctor's note stating the condition is not contagious any time I have doubts. People really can be very selfish and lazy when it involves the well-being of others around them.

Comment

• e.j.
        e.j. commented
        Editing a comment
        Poor kid! I know how you feel, though. I've seen diaper rashes that are so bad they bleed. It's gut wrenching to have to keep wiping in order to clean the bum while the kid is screaming in pain. Those rashes have almost always been caused by citrus fruits in a kid under 2.

• Alwaysgreener
        Alwaysgreener commented
        Editing a comment
        She is my second with citrus reaction. the other one the parents knew before she started. THey keep her off citrus until she potty trained.

Do they grow out of the reaction after 2 years old?

• e.j.
        e.j. commented
        Editing a comment
        All of the kids I've had here have grown out of it by about that age.

Thank you for your responses. It's always nice to know I'm not overreacting!

Comment

Why is it that doctors write notes stating illnesses are not contagious?

My first Dcg had (liquid) diarrhea. It ran all over and dropped off the changing table. I sent home several times, each time d said Dcg was better after 24 hours, so then I insisted on a doctor's note because I new the child was sick.

Doctors note said toddler diarrhea and could return to DC. I felt trapped, they were my first and I had gotten the note that I had asked for but didn't have any requirements that it had to be from a good doctor. So I allowed her to come but planned to send home if it was bad again.

Well Friday (6am) morning I was so sick, DD got sick to but not as bad. I called and she didn't answer, I texted but she didn't respond. Dh stayed home to take care of DD, while he was making breakfast, she walked in and dropped off her kids before he could turn around. (Yes she left them with out any adult supervision) She never dropped that fast before or again.

He come in to our room, woke me up and was mad I didn't call her and tell her I was closed. I tried her again repeatedly. No answer. She called me back when she got to work and said she'd call her dh. He arrived around noon, spoke no English and took his kids. Then she asked for a discount because they had to pick up early.

My whole hand book was rewritten after she got fired from her job a month later.

Comment

• e.j.
          e.j. commented
          Editing a comment
          OMG! Talk about a daycare horror story! The nerve of her to ask for a discount! I can definitely relate to having a handbook based on experiences with parents. Most of mine is the result of parent misbehavior.

• Alwaysgreener
          Alwaysgreener commented
          Editing a comment
          When I started in this group I use to read all the horror stories and I had done all my research on the best handbook possible. This DCM pushed every boundary.

She got fired for being late to work too many times. But in the mornings when she dropped off she would not leave, I even comment on the time but she keep talking. After 2 months I moved the payment due date from Friday to Thursday (I got paid after with her but that changed after she left) because on Friday she would bring her checkbook and sit at my table talking while I still wrangled her dcg and dcb slept in the car seat. Then after talking for so long, she would put her checkbook in her pocket and get up to leave without writing out the check. I figured if she walked out the door while I was distracted I could refuse service the next morning and charge a late fee but on Friday she would have me for the week.
      Working...
      X