Help For Someone Who "Can't" Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a funny story for you...

I also can't cook. I am vegan and 85% of what I eat I don't have to cook...I prefer most foods raw...
    \
    Well when I first meet my now husband, he is a carnivore. I really wanted to impress him so I tried to make the a low-carb-meatloaf.

When it said all-spice, I didn't know what that meant. So I put in all spices.................Including what for it,,,,,,,,wait for it,,,,, VANILLA..

Of course, my DH tired to eat it, but just couldn't. He said it tasted like a meat cake...............we laughed about it so hard when I showed him the recipe I got from online and he said where does it say vanilla....I said it doesn't, it says ALL-SPICE..... yeah I get teased all the time..

Oh I also didn't know what a griddle was when I first came to the USA... I was dating back in college when I tired to yet impress another young man and tried to make him hot-cakes. On the directions it said to put them in a griddle....well I put them in a frying pan in the oven on 350 degrees....yeah, let's just say that was another thing I still get teased about ..

Comment

Thank you guys so much for all the inspiration and encouragement! I had forgotten I made this thread, so I apologize for not checking in sooner. I'll check into the Aroma 3-1 and/or a crock pot, should have thought of that earlier
      I'm definitely going to try a grilled PB&J, that sounds delicious.
      Daycare, that's hilarious! You live and you learn, right? That's actually a helpful story, because I think part of my problem is that I'm scared to mess up. I don't wanna cook until I know how, but I won't learn how until I cook. I'm feeling better about experimenting now though!

Comment

KatiesCorner, how's the cooking going? Ready for The Food Network yet

Comment

Tacos

I'd say tacos are very easy, chop your veggies, brown your hamburger, drain fat and add seasoning if you like and scoop into shells. or use leftover rotissary chicken for chicken tacos. Now It's ready to eat.
          Originally posted by KatiesCorner View Post
          Hello all! Time to spill my dirty secret, I can't cook... Yet! I never had any interest in cooking, and when I worked at a child care center, they provided all of my breakfasts and lunches. So I I was usually only fixing my own food a handful of times each week. Now, I own my own Family Home Day Care and provide breakfast, lunches, and snacks each day for two toddlers.
          I've made this work by using frozen foods, and using a pretty repetitive menu. I'm looking for a few different kind of suggestions-

1.What are some easy foods that you make that are also not too unhealthy?

2.As I learn to cook, what are some easy dishes to start off with?

I've literally never cooked any meats, or anything that didn't come with instructions. Where should I start?

Comment

Another really easy item ....refrigerator biscuits (again I use immaculate. At least they are just basic, no weird ingre,). Bake, take out slice, add cheese slice and sliced turkey or chicken ( see below) place back in warm oven till cheese melted. I turn off the stove when I first take them out, so they don't burn when I put them back in. Yummy!

Also, I always to cook chicken breasts in my crock pot for shredded chicken. It can be used in sandwiches, tacos, burritos, etc. it seemed to dry out. I saw somewhere to pour chicken broth over the breasts and cook in the crock pot. They come out moist and delicious.

Also good...shredded chicken & buttered noodles! Yum! Add some frozen peas for color! Easy peasy! Haha

Comment

Working...
            X