Front Door Deco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Door Deco

If I purchase items to make a front door decoration (say, a wreath) and it is the door that children and families enter through - is this deductible under t/s % as curb appeal?

Originally posted by Baby Beluga View Post
    If I purchase items to make a front door decoration (say, a wreath) and it is the door that children and families enter through - is this deductible under t/s % as curb appeal?
    If the door is exclusive for child care then maybe but if anyone uses it, then no.

Comment

I would say no.

Comment

I would say yes. Everything in my house is pretty much t/s except my kids' clothes, our bedroom furniture, etc. Anything open to the daycare used spaces I'd include.

Comment

Yes. I log it under time/space. If the kids were not here, there is no way I'd have bunny rabbits and glitter on my door wreath.
          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Thank you everyone Tom, clarification?

I thought it would be considered considered curb appeal, like flowers, but I am unsure. FWIW, children/families are the only ones who use this door 99% of the time. We use the garage ourselves.

Comment

I put it under Household Items, Schedule C, Business Use - time/space.

"Schedule C Expense. Examples: Baby swing, bath mat, bed covers, booster seat, bug killer, child locks, clocks, cubbies, fire extinguisher, first-aid kit, garden hose, humidifier, lawn mower, light bulbs, outlet covers, room monitor, saw, security gate, tools, window shades, etc." - straight from KidKare

I also do this with the guest bathroom towel sets, soaps, bath mats, first aid kit and shower curtains. They are all kid themed and no kids live here.
              - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Wreath

Originally posted by Baby Beluga View Post
                I've had this issue come up in an IRS audit. We won being able to deduct the time-space% of the wreath. That's because it's part of the home decorations. Providers are in the business of providing a home learning environment for children. Bare walls and a lack of decoration is a sterile environment, not suitable for learning. So, yes, deduct the time-space% of the cost.
                http://www.tomcopelandblog.com

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X