Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can We Write off Income Loss for our Child Taking up a Spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can We Write off Income Loss for our Child Taking up a Spot?

I just adopted a special needs child who will indefinitely be home and not go to school. He takes up physical space obviously.

Is there a legal way to write off that spot on your taxes? It is a $900 loss each month forever.

Thanks, D

Caring for own child - deductible?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I just adopted a special needs child who will indefinitely be home and not go to school. He takes up physical space obviously.

Is there a legal way to write off that spot on your taxes? It is a $900 loss each month forever.

Thanks, D
    I appreciate it that you are taking on this responsibility. Unfortunately, you cannot deduct any business expenses associated with an adopted child (or biological child).
    http://www.tomcopelandblog.com

Comment

I just adopted a special needs child who will indefinitely be home and not go to school.

Congratulations on the adoption. happyface

Thanks, D
      Since you are able to be home with him vs putting him in child care so you can work, I'd look at it like a savings of $900 per month forever.

Comment

Thanks guys. I can call nursing staff in which is covered by insurance if I went to work, so that wouldn't cost anything. I just would prefer not too. So it does actually cost me money. Thanks for the clarification though, figured it was a reach but worth asking.

Comment

Is there an age where he/she will no longer count in your ratios? You can verify that with licensing.

Comment

No, because they go by age or developmental age. He will most likely stay infant-toddler developmentally. Plus he takes up physical space in my home that otherwise, I could have for a daycare crib. So looks like I am forced to take the hit, which I figured I would.

Comment

Working...
            X