Divorced Parents. How Many Tax Forms To Provide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorced Parents. How Many Tax Forms To Provide

Divorced parents. Contract with mom. Mom pays. I gave mom the tax form.

Dcd is now asking for a form.

In MN what do I need to provide?

I would ask the mom about it. Typically it doesn’t matter what parent pays as often times divorced parents have to switch off who can claim the children as dependents in any given year.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Divorced parents. Contract with mom. Mom pays. I gave mom the tax form.

Dcd is now asking for a form.

In MN what do I need to provide?
      Provide the form to who paid you
      The rest is up to them to sort out

Also in MN

Tell dad to talk to mom.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        Provide the form to who paid you
        The rest is up to them to sort out

Also in MN

Tell dad to talk to mom.
        This is what I did, thanks for the reassurance. Dcd is just being difficult. I had to tell him two separate times to work it out amongst themselves and to keep me out of the middle, as I am a neutral party to their kids.

Comment

That was a lesson learned from me, I was audited because both parents paid, I gave a tax form with the ANNUAL TOTAL, specifically stated each portion which parent paid. They both claimed the kid/full amount.

Nope. Never again.

Comment

tax forms

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            This is what I did, thanks for the reassurance. Dcd is just being difficult. I had to tell him two separate times to work it out amongst themselves and to keep me out of the middle, as I am a neutral party to their kids.
            Tell dad to back off. You are doing the right thing. Refuse to discuss this with him anymore.
            http://www.tomcopelandblog.com

Comment

I give it to the person that paid me. Period.

Comment

It’s entirely possible that he’s reimbursing her for a portion of the childcare...and if they have an agreement that he claims the child on his taxes....etc.

However, that’s not your problem. It’s between the two of them to work out.

Comment

What about just giving him a copy.Maybe you could give a receipt saying monies paid by other parent for said child.I do not think I would want bad feelings between either parent and myself.There must be some kind of form out there that addresses this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by rosieteddy View Post
                    What about just giving him a copy.Maybe you could give a receipt saying monies paid by other parent for said child. I do not think I would want bad feelings between either parent and myself.There must be some kind of form out there that addresses this issue.
                    When dealing with divorced parents, I only give the W-10 form to the one that contracted my services; it's in my policies that I am not to be involved in their family/legal issues whether it's $$ or otherwise. What if both parents try & claim the child because they both have a copy of the form or receipts for payment, then you risk being Audited just like daycare diva was...

Comment

I get it. I was just thinking maybe there was some way to avoid conflict with the dad.I would not want to be audited .I was thinking more on terms of a form saying the other parent paid ,maybe not list amount.

Comment

I experienced this this year. Dcm paid, dcd claimed without using my tax id, not sure how.

Knowing dcd had already claimed, I didn't give a statement to dcm because I didn't want them both to claim.

I had a dcm ask for my info a few years ago, only dcd pays. I refused. Her tax person said, no problem, we'll just state she won't provide it. I told her if she did and I got audited, I would turn both her and her tax person in for fraud. They chose not to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by sharlan View Post
                          I experienced this this year. Dcm paid, dcd claimed without using my tax id, not sure how.

Knowing dcd had already claimed, I didn't give a statement to dcm because I didn't want them both to claim.

I had a dcm ask for my info a few years ago, only dcd pays. I refused. Her tax person said, no problem, we'll just state she won't provide it. I told her if she did and I got audited, I would turn both her and her tax person in for fraud. They chose not to do it.

Whether they both claim isn't your problem. THEY are the ones who will be in trouble. Just make sure that the parent who paid signs a copy of your statement, and you're covered. Also, if the IRS sees that 5 of your parents claimed $8000 per year for childcare, and this child's parents EACH claimed $8000 per year, I doubt it would trigger an audit for you, but that they'd just approach the parents about the issue. I once got audited when waiting tables 20 years ago because I claimed MORE tips than anyone else (I worked more, and I didn't lie on my claim). It was a breeze to show that I wasn't defrauding them, and it was probably the easiest audit in IRS history!

Comment

Working...
                          X