EIN/SSN question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EIN/SSN question

Hi there. I have a random question that all of my searching online and on the IRS website won't seem to answer.
    I only operated from the end of 2013 to mid 2014. Lat year, I only had one family and I personally knew them so I just used my SSN.
    This year, I already gave statements with my SSN to two families that I provided care for (that I personally know/trust), but I was feeling nervous about giving out my SSN to the families I don't really know so I looked into it and discovered how easy obtaining an EIN is.
    I went ahead and got my EIN today. My question is, can I give out my EIN to two families if the others are already using my SSN? Are they interchangeable enough to do that?
    Thanks in advance!

Yes, your SS# is tied to your EIN so either number is fine but I would from now on ONLY give out your EIN.

For the other two families that you already gave your SS# to, you can certainly let them know you have an EIN now and if they haven't yet filed, to use the EIN. If they already filed, no harm no foul.

Comment

Definitely. I wish I had looked into this a week ago. (at myself)
      Thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X