This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
    ...or you can just go to the Tax section, scroll rapidly down the threads and find one that says "Let's make a list" and being that it was a thread legomom started, it was a given.
    Yes, but I know we are going to get a lot of deduction questions this year. The Tag suggestions dropdown only shows 10 similar words and there are over 70 for the word "deduction". I thought I would post them all to save everyone time.

Comment

Time

Originally posted by daycare View Post
      I suck at this I cant find anything...

ok quick question

can we claim grocery shopping or time spent shopping for daycare ?? I forget.

MY CPA called me and said no, and I recall it being yes
      No. You can only count time you spend in your home on business activities.
      http://www.tomcopelandblog.com

Comment

Deductions

I've identified over 1,000 allowable business deductions for family child care providers in my book Family Child Care Record Keeping Guide: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/famil...h-edition.html

Comment

Originally posted by TomCopeland View Post
          I've identified over 1,000 allowable business deductions for family child care providers in my book Family Child Care Record Keeping Guide: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/famil...h-edition.html
          just purchased the book thanks so much tom

Comment

BlackCat posted a big ole list up there of work when no kids at the house ...and the third one made me wonder. It says.. "3. Mowing grass, trimming, raking, gardening, pulling weeds, watering lawn & flowers, bushes, trees."

We actually pay someone to mow, trim, blow, etc. Can we claim this as a deduction?? If so, what type of deduction is that??

Comment

Gardening

Originally posted by Gellybean6903 View Post
              BlackCat posted a big ole list up there of work when no kids at the house ...and the third one made me wonder. It says.. "3. Mowing grass, trimming, raking, gardening, pulling weeds, watering lawn & flowers, bushes, trees."

We actually pay someone to mow, trim, blow, etc. Can we claim this as a deduction?? If so, what type of deduction is that??
              You can deduct the time-space % amount of the cost of hiring someone to do this work for you. Claim it as house repairs on Form 8829.

Comment

You can deduct the time-space % amount of the cost of hiring someone to do this work for you. Claim it as house repairs on Form 8829.
                What if you lease your home? Which of these deductions will apply? :confused:

Comment

Lease

Originally posted by KnoxMom View Post
                  What if you lease your home? Which of these deductions will apply? :confused:
                  You can deduct the time-space % of your lease and any other house expenses you pay for: utilities, renter's insurance, repairs, etc.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but things I'm referencing go with it, so hopefully Tom sees this. I see that you can claim t/s% on things such as cutting grass, different landscaping things like planting, weeding etc. We can claim the time for these or does it have to be specifically 100% daycare related to do it? I mean I will be cutting my grass regardless, so I wondered.

Also as far as receipts. I buy things from garage sales alot. How do I track that as far as a receipt? Thanks!

Comment

time and receipts

Originally posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
                      I know this is an old thread but things I'm referencing go with it, so hopefully Tom sees this. I see that you can claim t/s% on things such as cutting grass, different landscaping things like planting, weeding etc. We can claim the time for these or does it have to be specifically 100% daycare related to do it? I mean I will be cutting my grass regardless, so I wondered.

Also as far as receipts. I buy things from garage sales alot. How do I track that as far as a receipt? Thanks!
                      You can count the time you spend on activities for your business that you wouldn't be doing if you weren't in business. Since you would be mowing the lawn and weeding, etc even if you weren't in business, don't count this time, although you could count part of the cost. When buying items at a garage sale, write you own note about what you bought, what it cost and when and where you bought it. Then take a picture of it.

Comment

You can count the time you spend on activities for your business that you wouldn't be doing if you weren't in business. Since you would be mowing the lawn and weeding, etc even if you weren't in business, don't count this time, although you could count part of the cost. When buying items at a garage sale, write you own note about what you bought, what it cost and when and where you bought it. Then take a picture of it.
                        Thank you. That's what I Figured, but thought better double check.

I do know that I would never salt my driveway and shovel it every day nearly in the winter, so can I claim that time?

Comment

Professional development hours

In NY there are mandated professional development hours and topics for registered providers. If the rule is that you must be within your Daycare/ home to write off the extra hours.... what about on-line PD trainings where you are doing it within your daycare/ home after regular hours? This might be another one for the list of write offs ?

Comment

hours

Originally posted by buddie65 View Post
                            In NY there are mandated professional development hours and topics for registered providers. If the rule is that you must be within your Daycare/ home to write off the extra hours.... what about on-line PD trainings where you are doing it within your daycare/ home after regular hours? This might be another one for the list of write offs ?
                            To count hours in the calculation of your time-space% you must be in your home when daycare children are not present. Hours spent away from your home, even if on activities exclusively for your business don't count. Doing online training for your business in your home does count.

Comment

Add to list :}

Excellent ...one more for the list :}}

Comment

Very interesting! Looking forward to seeing more.

Comment

Working...
                                X