Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Have A Fence??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do You Have A Fence??

    First off, is it required in your state?? It's not in mine, so thankfully I'm ok right now.

    1 side of our yard is fenced, thanks to one neighbor. The back side is wooded area, and the other side has a small hill leading into the neighbor's yard. We have a deck and a driveway that extends slightly into the yard. Obviously I want a fence, I think it is a necessity for outdoor play time. I'm just curious if there is anyone out there with NO fence that has a sucessful time outside with multiple children? How many kids and what are their ages??

    My son is 3 in April and I know even last summer he was always trying to run in the neighbor's yard.

  • #2
    Our state requires fencing to be in place to guard children from busy or congested streets but I am not required to have a complete fence or even have one at all if my streets aren't busy/congested. I am on a corner and have fencing on the street sides and on a third side (thanks to neighbor) but not on the side where the alley is. I have kids play outside from age 3.5 on up without me being physically present. I do have a security camera so I can see and hear them AT ALL times and I also have the parents written permission when they (and I) feel their child is old enough to play outside without me being physically outside with them.

    Oh and I have to add that I have specific safety rules about boundaries that we practice and go over (like a fire drill) and the kids know that if they EVER go even close to the boundary line (which is waaaay before the actual fence) they lose their outside privledges for 6 months, and can no longer play outside until I can physically take them with the other kids. NO EXCEPTIONS and NO BUTS.

    Comment


    • #3
      I had a fence installed last year - and it is worth every penny for my peace of mind !! The only time it is required if we are on a busy street with within a certain amount of feet from a body of water!

      Comment


      • #4
        Depending on how the property is set up our state can require that you have one. I live in a cul-de-sac and we are far enough away from the main street that runs through our community that I didn't have to have a fence. I would love to have one if I could afford it though.

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't think I could ever have kids outside unsupervised. I mean, without me being directly there. If it works for you, cool.

          So, I'm curious what everyone's yard sizes are and how much it cost to fence the yard. I'd only be paying for 2 full sides, and one side with maybe 1/4 are to cover (the side where my house sits) I'm not sure how big the yard is, not too big... hmm.

          Comment


          • #6
            I am required to have a fence, 4ft minimum. Children are not allowed to be in unfenced areas, supervised or unsupervised. No more cul-de-sac walks for us...
            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Catherder View Post
              I am required to have a fence, 4ft minimum. Children are not allowed to be in unfenced areas, supervised or unsupervised. No more cul-de-sac walks for us...
              Wow- you can't even walk around the neighborhood with them? No field trips??

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't have a fence either. I'm legally unlicensed. I have a shared yard as I live in a townhouse and I bought some road cones at the dollar store to mark the boundaries. The kids are really great about staying within the boundaries. They know the boundary so well they actually are the ones to set the cones out for me every day.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kendallina View Post
                  I don't have a fence either. I'm legally unlicensed. I have a shared yard as I live in a townhouse and I bought some road cones at the dollar store to mark the boundaries. The kids are really great about staying within the boundaries. They know the boundary so well they actually are the ones to set the cones out for me every day.
                  Good idea on the cones.

                  I'm wondering if there are other ideas for cheap alternative to fence but still gives the illusion of boundaries. Of course this would be temporary until we could get a fence.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KEG123 View Post
                    Good idea on the cones.

                    I'm wondering if there are other ideas for cheap alternative to fence but still gives the illusion of boundaries. Of course this would be temporary until we could get a fence.
                    My husband used to do parking lot stencils and spray painting the parking lines and he used a spray paint similar to what they use on baseball fields so this made me think why not use spray paint. Spray out your boundaries and tell the kids to stay within the lines...easy peasy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I can't imagine having an unfenced yard for daycare! I suppose it depends on where you live, but being in "town" I just can't even fathom the idea of trying to supervise children without a fence. I suppose it has something to do with my controlling nature, but I never would have kids out to play without a fence. Walks yes, play time NO!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                        My husband used to do parking lot stencils and spray painting the parking lines and he used a spray paint similar to what they use on baseball fields so this made me think why not use spray paint. Spray out your boundaries and tell the kids to stay within the lines...easy peasy.
                        Yeah but that would only work for the 3+ crowd I'm thinking.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You should check with your county CCRRN about any grants that are available for this. My hubby talked to a dcp a couple of years ago who got her fence paid for that way.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have no fence, 1 neighbour on one side, farmersfield behind and a creek/ditch that runs alongside, oh and we have an acre of land. We couldn't put a fence up because the yard is zigzag. With my under 5 crowd, I go outside, I think regardless of a fence anyone even a parent needs to supervise their children under the age of 5.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MyAngels View Post
                              You should check with your county CCRRN about any grants that are available for this. My hubby talked to a dcp a couple of years ago who got her fence paid for that way.
                              Actually I'm going to a "class' this Thursday to find out about getting the grant.

                              Hence, why I'm thinking of cheap, temporary solutions.

                              Comment

                              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X