Parent wants to drop off early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parent wants to drop off early?

I changed my hours in the beginning of the year. 12 hour days were just too much. so I changed them from 6-6 to 7-530. An hour difference. The two kids that I have never showed up until 745 and got picked up 515. They would be later only if they stopped by the grocery store or ate dinner before picking up which I think is not right since these kids are theirs. Anyway, now that I have changed my hours, one comes at 7 and usually leaves at 430 and the other is here until 530. Now the one that comes at 7 wants to come at 640 every other Thursday. The question I have is how much should I charge for 20 minutes early. I am not happy about it and I know I should have said no..I am mad at myself. Can I change my mind without sounding wishywashy?

Charge enough to deter them! At least then if they do drop off you get something out of it.

Comment

of course you can change your mind.

you can say

I am sorry that I told you I would be able to fulfill your request, after careful consideration, unfortunately I will not be able to. NO need to explain why. Just leave it at that.

Or,

You can say, I really want to help, but in order to make sense of it on my part, there will be an added $20.00 fee for any arrivals before 7am.

then smile

Comment

Yes, make it worth your while. The problem I have had with opening early for one, is that once the others eventually find out they all want early.

If you don't want to do it then don't. Tell them "After thinking about it some more I will not be able to accommodate the early drop off"

I recently had to do this. One mom wanted early drop offs on Thursdays. I open after I get my daughter on the bus so I don't have all the kids standing at the bus stop, etc. I had told her we'll see. She took that as yes. So I had to tell her "No, I'm sorry, I won't be able to accommodate. I open at a certain time for a certain reason." She made other arrangements.

I do have one child that comes early and the others know and have all tried to come early. This dcg is super easy, well behaved and behaves at the bus stop, the other dcks not so much. So I made the exception for her early on when I first changed my hours. But I can only have one early one, otherwise it would be too much work getting to the bus...I can hold her hand and my son's hand while my older daughter walks next to us.

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyMom View Post
          Yes, make it worth your while. The problem I have had with opening early for one, is that once the others eventually find out they all want early.

If you don't want to do it then don't. Tell them "After thinking about it some more I will not be able to accommodate the early drop off"

I recently had to do this. One mom wanted early drop offs on Thursdays. I open after I get my daughter on the bus so I don't have all the kids standing at the bus stop, etc. I had told her we'll see. She took that as yes. So I had to tell her "No, I'm sorry, I won't be able to accommodate. I open at a certain time for a certain reason." She made other arrangements.
          ditto on other parents will want to do it or AND usually will do it without even asking. It starts one, then other parents see oh well you already have kids here so no big deal....

I let this happen years ago and it was a mess....

Comment

Well, I talked to her and told her I thought about the hours and I decided that it would make my day to long. She just said ok. We will see what happens when the dad finds out. When I gave them the revised contract in Jan. it had only a few changes in it. But, the dad came back with everything highlighted. And wanted to know every detail. So I went over it with him with a smile on my face. I'm not sure why I do this anymore! UGH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Laura5287 View Post
              Well, I talked to her and told her I thought about the hours and I decided that it would make my day to long. She just said ok. We will see what happens when the dad finds out. When I gave them the revised contract in Jan. it had only a few changes in it. But, the dad came back with everything highlighted. And wanted to know every detail. So I went over it with him with a smile on my face. I'm not sure why I do this anymore! UGH!!
              holy cow... I had a dcm do that to me before....Well actually she emailed me my PHB, with a list of things that I needed to correct, change and update......

DOn't back down....stand your ground

Comment

Working...
              X