Question regarding Assistants/Helpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding Assistants/Helpers

I currently have 1 DCB, and am legally unlicensed.

I will be taking the classes I need to get my license starting in January. For now, I know I can legally only have three children(under 7) in my care by myself.

My question is, my BF is home until 2:30 each day, and he's around the house and is always participating in whatever we are doing that day...Can I count him as a "helper"?

The reason I ask is that I have a family with 3 children who would like to enroll their children here, which would bring my total to 4. I told them I wasn't sure if I could do that, and told them I would get back with them tomorrow after I did some checking.

With my BF here, would that be legal? Is he legally considered a helper?

Current DCB leaves before my BF leaves each day, which would bring my total to 3 children after my BF left, which is legal.

You would have to check your state licensing guidelines (or guidelines for not being licensed, I guess).

Comment

Yeah, I've been looking through the guidelines for licensing, but there aren't really many guidelines for not being licensed that I've found, so I'm having a hard time finding any information. Basically, if I was licensed, he could be considered my helper if he completed all the courses, but I havn't even completed them yet, hence the lack of license, so obviously neither has he, which doesn't help me much!
      I guess I can call tomorrow and see if anyone can help me/answer my question because I don't have a clue.

Comment

No you can't. You can only have 3 under age 7 on the premises, unless they are related to you directly (nephew, niece, own child, grandchild).

If you do it and get caught, you risk not getting licensed.

Wait! I just read the part where the one leaves before the others would come?

If that's the case, you can do it. You can care for THREE children at one time. So, if you had three from 6am to 2pm, and 3 from 2:01pm to 5:59am, you're okay. They just can't overlap at any point where you have more than 3. Make sense?

Comment

Also...it used to be that you had 6 months after getting your license to do the coursework. I can check on that for you, if you like. Did you order your licensing packet yet? You could at least get started; because it'll take you 4-5 months to get the paperwork done, a consultant to come out (Collaborating Partners), and then get inspected.

If you want to PM me, I can give you my phone number. I would be more than happy to help you work through the process. I've mentored 3 other newbies over the years.

Comment

If the 3 kids will be there at the same time as the 1 kid, then no, you can't do that. No more than 3 at a time. Having a 'helper' means no difference since you aren't licensed. Plus, your helper and you have to have some certain classes before you can watch kiddos under a license. I always have issues finding assistants because none of them have Fundamentals of Family Childcare which is a required course before work. If you could find a family with 2 kiddos, that would be better. Don't want to risk not getting your license. Good luck.
            lovethis daymommy to 7 kiddos - 5 girls and 2 boys

Comment

Originally posted by kitykids3 View Post
              If the 3 kids will be there at the same time as the 1 kid, then no, you can't do that. No more than 3 at a time. Having a 'helper' means no difference since you aren't licensed. Plus, your helper and you have to have some certain classes before you can watch kiddos under a license. I always have issues finding assistants because none of them have Fundamentals of Family Childcare which is a required course before work. If you could find a family with 2 kiddos, that would be better. Don't want to risk not getting your license. Good luck.
              Your assistant/helper doesn't need to course until they've worked for you for 6 months and 240 hours. They do need Shaken Baby Prevention though. http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/childcare/l...FCC/250_05.pdf

Comment

I double checked, and the original licensee does need the Fundamentals class completed before getting the license. You can get your packet, work with your consultant, but before you send your actual application in, you need to have the course done.

Comment

Thanks so much for your help ladies.
                  Heidi- I'll PM you later. I so appreciate your help! I'm kind of drowning here!

Comment

From what I understand you'd have 4 + your BF in the AM and 3 w/out BF in PM, right? Any time you are over three you are operating illegally, they don't count 'helpers' for unliscensed, it's simply no more than three no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                      Your assistant/helper doesn't need to course until they've worked for you for 6 months and 240 hours. They do need Shaken Baby Prevention though. http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/childcare/l...FCC/250_05.pdf
                      Yeah, I think it all depends on if it is a substitute, volunteer, a paid assistant you are with all the time or one you leave alone with the kids. In her case, he wouldn't need them yet since he's probably a volunteer and not left alone. I am used to hiring helpers that are left alone with the kids (1 provider, not the second) so I'm just used to requiring that upfront. Sorry about the mistake.
                      lovethis daymommy to 7 kiddos - 5 girls and 2 boys

Comment

Originally posted by kitykids3 View Post
                        Yeah, I think it all depends on if it is a substitute, volunteer, a paid assistant you are with all the time or one you leave alone with the kids. In her case, he wouldn't need them yet since he's probably a volunteer and not left alone. I am used to hiring helpers that are left alone with the kids (1 provider, not the second) so I'm just used to requiring that upfront. Sorry about the mistake.
                        No problem, I just wanted you to know that if you find a good sub or assistant that doesn't have the class done yet, you can still hire them and give them 6 months.

For me, the sucky thing is that my best SUB was my MIL. It's was occasional, but at 73 years of age, she is not going back to take a daycare class.

Comment

Working...
                        X