Do They Really Think This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do They Really Think This?

I do contracted days and hours. So one family's scheduled times begin at 8:30 a.m. but they show up every single day at about 8:15. I've mentioned a couple of times that they are early, but still they come early. (They are new.)

Then one day they came at 8:35 and apologized for being late ::

Then I realized that they call me every once in a while and ask if it's "okay" if they pick up the child early. I always say, "Of course! he's yours!" and didn't think much about it.

But now I think that they think of those times like work hours -- you must arrive by such-and-such a time and not leave before such-and-such a time.

Ever heard of this? And how would you explain it to them :: :: (without laughing : "Baby boy does not have work hours" :confused::::confused:

I have a set of parents like this. If they are going to be late - the next day -, they are literally sweating while talking to me about it.

If they want to do early pickup for something special, they think it's a huge deal. Nope, not so much either way.

Now, if you show up early, that's another story.

Comment

Lol! I've actually had a few families get very confused with this same thing, even though my phb is straight forward about it.
      My latest family, the grandparents were experiencing child care for the first time....understandable.
      Before that a dcd that was extremely apologetic for arriving ten minutes after their contracted morning time, asking how much of a late fee he owed. I had to laugh ::......

Comment

I had one like this, but they were purposely being arrogant and pushing boundaries. Yours sounds a little innocent and confused. With my dcm, I had finally had enough. I was pregnant, and in no mood for her b.s. I finally asked her point blank what she thought her hours were (she was showing up 15 to 40 minutes early and also picking up 15 minutes late). One or the other would have fallen within a 9 hour day, but she was purposely pushing the boundary. Well, dcm looked embarrassed as I pulled out a brand new contract right then, but that is what it took- she had to commit to a set 9 hours, no more early or late without a charge. Made a world of difference!

Comment

Originally posted by SignMeUp View Post
          I do contracted days and hours. So one family's scheduled times begin at 8:30 a.m. but they show up every single day at about 8:15. I've mentioned a couple of times that they are early, but still they come early. (They are new.)

Then one day they came at 8:35 and apologized for being late ::

Then I realized that they call me every once in a while and ask if it's "okay" if they pick up the child early. I always say, "Of course! he's yours!" and didn't think much about it.

But now I think that they think of those times like work hours -- you must arrive by such-and-such a time and not leave before such-and-such a time.

Ever heard of this? And how would you explain it to them :: :: (without laughing : "Baby boy does not have work hours" :confused::::confused:
          This happens alot when parents are first getting used to the contracted hours agreement.

I have had several newbie parents text/call and ask for permission to pick up early.

I just find a moment to talk with them and just reiterate my reasons for contracted hours:
          So I know when to be available for work and when I will be done.

If they pick up early...great! I am done early.

If they try to drop off early, I won't be ready.

Easy peasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

If they try to drop off early, I won't be ready.

Easy peasy.
            Mmm-hmmm. Except I already have other kids, so I am open

Comment

Originally posted by SignMeUp View Post
              Mmm-hmmm. Except I already have other kids, so I am open
              Oh yeah.. I forgot you take earlier ones..

Well tell them you prepare each day for the specific number of kids present and adding an extra one or two even 10 minutes before you were ready for them can throw the whole day off.

Because it is true.

I also try to explain it by using the "you dont go to work 15 minutes early every day for free do you?" argument. That extra 15 minutes a day adds up to an hour+ each week..

That usually helps them understand better.

Comment

Working...
              X