Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safechner
    replied
    I do text with the parents and they are doing the same thing. I found it is so much easier for me to use communicate with them. I do talk to them during pick up/drop off with no problems. I do not have phone landline at all but I do have a video phone with sign language communicate. Cell phone is only for my business that I need to use text and I can claim on my taxes that IRS cannot do anything about it since I am deaf myself. :: My husband have another cell phone so it is for personal things.

Leave a comment:

• countrymom
    replied
    I don't know, maybe its just me, but i find texting rude, esp. in a business. If there was a problem I would rather deal with it face to face or talk to a real person than send a message. I usually talk to parents at pick up or drop off time, if its important and I forget, I call them later and the parents really prefer this.

Leave a comment:

• countrymom
    replied
    Originally posted by Crystal View Post
    no texting. cannot stand the phone. screen calls and call back if important, otherwise talk daily at drop off and pick up.
    I screen my calls too, esp since i get telemarketers calling all the time.

Leave a comment:

• countrymom
    replied
    Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
    I do not text or e-mail. It is nice to have a few things separate from work. If I gave out my e-mail address or my cell number, it would never end!! Phone calls at my childcare during business hours only! If it is an emergency or happens after hours, I have an answering machine that gets checked every evening before bed and every morning when I get up.
    I'm the same way, I also believe it would never end.

Leave a comment:

• Live and Learn
    replied
    No texting here either. I figure that if there is an emergency I call on the phone for pickup up, I occasionally put notes in lunch boxes as reminders and I send and receive the occasional email regarding schedule adjustments.
    I like to send photos of the dck from my iPhoto. To each their own.

I will apologize now for the following rant but I have noticed that their have been several threads concerning weird conversations that parents and providers have while texting.....

What I don't like about texting is that it seems like people (read parents) expect immediate reponses. I am available by phone and almost always answer it......if I am busy feel free to leave a message. I will call back as soon as I can. I am available by email...I will respond as soon as I can. I just don't want to chit chat with parents Via text all day and having them checking in for reports. I will gladly hold the hand of a 2 year old if he is having anxiety during the day but not a grownup.

I think that people sometimes send texts about things that are not important and would definitely keep....these things are so unimportant that they wouldn't bother with a phone call or email but they think nothing of shooting off a text. I guess I am in a sassy mood today but I am just imagining having
    each of my families texting me a couple of times a day....uh...no thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Crystal
    replied
    no texting. cannot stand the phone. screen calls and call back if important, otherwise talk daily at drop off and pick up.

Leave a comment:

• ninosqueridos
    replied
    No texting and I am happy that way. We use phone or face to face (and try to keep it short and sweet). I write in their child's book everyday so they could learn what happened during the day in there.

Leave a comment:

• CKSher
    replied
    I have never texted my parents. Sometimes I wish I did as it would be easier than trying to carry on conversations with all the kids running around us, but then I also worry that they would constantly be texting with unimportant things or I would stash my phone away and forget to check it and miss something important. Things seem to be working well the way I am doing it now so I figure why mess with a good thing!

Leave a comment:

• KEG123
    replied
    I dont have a cell at the moment but will get one once I start care. It seems like it could have its benefits.

Leave a comment:

• Lianne
    replied
    Originally posted by Live and Learn View Post
    So for those of you who do text with parents are you having texts with each parent each day throughout the day or are they just texting you when they are on their way to pickup or if there is a tornado?
    I text to my clients about things that aren't really important (not worth bothering them with a phone call) but I know I'll forget to mention by the end of the day. I'll text them if their child needs diapers or had a toileting accident, fell and bumped themselves or said/did something cute. More important stuff gets a phone call and/or a face to face conversation.

Leave a comment:

• Blackcat31
    replied
    I do not text or e-mail. It is nice to have a few things separate from work. If I gave out my e-mail address or my cell number, it would never end!! Phone calls at my childcare during business hours only! If it is an emergency or happens after hours, I have an answering machine that gets checked every evening before bed and every morning when I get up.

Leave a comment:

• kendallina
    replied
    I don't. I don't even have a cell phone . ::

Leave a comment:

• DCMomOf3
    replied
    I have one parent who prefers to text, and at work it's easier for her to respond. The others don't text at all, otherwise it would be my preference.

Leave a comment:

• MarinaVanessa
    replied
    Originally posted by nannyde View Post
    Yes I love it. Saves SO much parent contact time
    Yes it does! I have a google voice number that I put on my advertisement and give to the parents that I attached to my cell phone. This way when they call or text I have a record that I can just print out. When loony DCM goes bonkers and texts me I have a record of it. It's sooo hard to get an actual transcript from the phone company for texts so I prefer this way vs other forms of communication. It's quick, it's easy and it's easy to save a conversation.

I actually initiated the whole google voice thing to keep track of texts and calls from my DD's biological dad for our custody case and I loved it because it worked so well that I used it for my business.

Leave a comment:

• laundrymom
    replied
    I text all the time, I think all my parents have texting, most unlimited pic and video too. If we are doing something fun, or silly I video it or tak a pic of it and text it to them. Text is easier if its something quick. If something happens however,.. I text,.. call me asap,.. urgent. or something like that. I believe every one of my parents have their cell on their body at all times. also, I facetime them if they have a 4rth gen ipod. We skype,.. Im very open about our day and letting parents into it. They love it. Makes them feel more connected to their kids,.. Sometimes they will be having a hard day and text,.. can you send me a pic, Im having a rough day, and I go snap one of their child at that moment and send it. Sometimes a pic of their child, and seeing the reason they put up with their job is allthey need to turn the day around.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X