• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Childminder View Post
    Yep, mostly just a bunch of low life idjits! JMO
    Not right...have you ever thought that there are moms out there that do need to help you just have dealt with idiots try interview in a little bit better

Leave a comment:

• morgan24
    replied
    Most of MI billing is on line now. Have your provider check on line. She should have a provider number. I haven't done state pay daycare in a couple of years. I have called clients workers to get the information that I need.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered-dhs mother
    Guest replied
    Questions for childcare providers;

I am new to this and have a few questions. I'm a 22 year old single parent going to school full-time. I recently applied for benefits & was approved. The Michigan bridges website says my son is approved for childcare from December 4th-17th, I called his daycare& they said that's unusual that it was only approved for a 2 week time period. So I rechecked, & it has 2 week periods until November of 2012. My provider has not received anything from the DHS office & neither have I about it. I'm confused on if the payments have already started, if so do they go to her or do I receive the check until she gets the paperwork? My DHS office is very snobby & I'm not sure how this whole process works. Any help. Please.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Thanks for the helpful information

Thanks for the helpful information

Leave a comment:

• Live and Learn
    replied
    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    this is totally ridiculous! this state's economy is horrible right now. for you to turn your nose up at someone who wants to pay u using dhs benefits while she works is absurd. if you keep only caring for that one child you will be applying for assistance next. maybe there is a good reason you only care for the one child. you can't spell worth a damn! snob
    .....and you can't capitalize worth a darn!....

Pot calling the kettle black?

Leave a comment:

• Lisa4kids
    replied
    UNREGISTERED ~ You have no clue what you are talking about! This post is over a year old, and you cant even register on here to put your two cents in!! :: It's my thought that you are either one of the people receiving or you are just plain ignorant to the facts of having to deal with State Payments and Headaches!! The provider probably has plenty of children she is caring for now and hopefully NOT state paid. From my experience, it was slow in the begining..... 16 years ago. I used to care for state paid families, but was screwed over sooooo many times from the state of michigan. Then in 2006, the governor helped form a union for providers, then proceeded to steal money from providers to run the union...without their concent. We were forced to be unionized. That is when I decided NOT to accept any more. A group of providers have sued the state of michigan over the unionization, and just won last month.... they get their union dues all returned to them. Anyway, Now I have 12 full time children and not one are state of michigan subsidized. No more worries about not getting paid, no more keeping on the parents that "forget" to bill or "dont feel a responsibility to do their part in order to receive their "freebies". I've had parents in the past that complained about having to pay 25 cents per hour and couldn't pay me on time.... I'd rather take on responsible parents that are willing to pay $125 per week per child for quality care and NOT complain!!! This is my business, I'm not a babysitter!

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    this is totally ridiculous! this state's economy is horrible right now. for you to turn your nose up at someone who wants to pay u using dhs benefits while she works is absurd. if you keep only caring for that one child you will be applying for assistance next. maybe there is a good reason you only care for the one child. you can't spell worth a damn! snob

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Wow.

Originally posted by professionalmom View Post
    I really hate to say this, but in my experience DHS clients are the most demanding, bossy, yet irresponsible and cheap clients I have ever had. The ones that I have had were the 20-22 years old single mothers who acted (and even told me) that they knew more about children than me (I'm 35 and have been taking care of children since before these mothers were even born!). They think they're child is a genius and if (s)he is not hitting milestones at least two months ahead of schedule, it's your fault. They also ask about "curriculum" for 6 month olds! Then they complain about every dollar and dime. They even try to "barter" the rate I charge, even though they have signed a contract that spells everything out in almost too much detail! I am sure there are some young single moms struggling and being very responsible and very accommodating and only use the assistance as a hand up rather than a hand out. I just wish some of them would find their way to my house! However, the ones I have had have treated me like I owe them something just because of their "situation".

So I am not surprised that she flaked out on you. This is quite normal for the DHS crowd I have encountered in MI. They make interview appointments and no call no show; agree to start on a specific date so you hold the spot open and pass up others, just to get stood up or they call the day they are due to start and quit; they will start but as soon as money gets tight for them, they start trying to pick fights with you so they have a "reason" to quit. Oh, and many have a superiority complex where they think they own you and that you are their property. I had one tell me things like "YOU work for ME!" and "Maybe that's how it worked when you had a REAL job out in the REAL world". Needless to say, the DCM is gone. Oh, and she lost the SC lawsuit I filed against her. Karma!
    What a bunch of twits you all are. DHS mothers are working and trying to make a living to provide for their children. Maybe you have dealt with a few rotten apples, but it seems very childish to judge others based on their need for assistance. Also, it sounds like these mothers take pride in their children and are showing a huge interest in their well being. Maybe you should shut up and do your job, and stop complaining about those "less fortunate" than yourself. I think they are wise to find someone who cares about their children and less obsessed with dollars and cents.

Leave a comment:

• Janet
    Guest replied
    DHS in MI

One of my biggest pain in the arse parents was a DHS single mom. She didn't want to pay the co-pay, which would have been fine considering that she worked 3rd shift and they were dropped off at bedtime and picked up at 7:30am. Not a problem for me, but then she started picking them up a little later each morning so when she started showing up at 8:30am, I told her that she would have to pay the co-pay unless she went back to her 7:30am pick-up. She just didn't want to have to drive out and pick them up and then drive them out here again to drop the boys off at school (I live pretty much next to the school). She then asked if she could just hang out until she had to take the boys to school and like a stupid idiot, I said OK but they aren't my responsibility, they are hers, and my house rules apply. It didn't last long because she fell asleep on the couch within the 1st week! But I digress...

I would never, ever even consider doing the billing for the parent. That is fraud and if the provider and parent were caught, they could get into a lot of trouble. It just isn't worth it.

Giving the parent your provider ID# or any other type of information isn't a guarantee that the parent will get approved. In the state of MI, they are allowed 45 days to decide if a family is approved and for how much and for how many hours. Never assume that a family will be approved, even if they have been approved in the past. I had a different DHS family who had always had the DHS billing and when the kids came back, I assumed that they would be approved. WRONG! The mom didn't comply with Workfirst and I didn't get paid for about 9 weeks of fulltime care for 2 kids! Always get pre-paid for your weekly tuition in advance and just let the parent know that if they are approved, you will refund the amount that the state paid (but make sure that you factor in the copay).

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• nannyde
    replied

My MIL told me yesterday that when she was interviewing babysitters over 30 years ago, she told one girl that she was just looking for someone with "good common sense" and the girl replied, "what's common sense?" WHAT? Next ... Maybe that's what I should bring up during the interview process.
    ::::::::

Bwhahahaha

Leave a comment:

• professionalmom
    replied
    Originally posted by Miss Joy View Post
    I would like to think that there are some hard working, honest people out there that just need a bit of help right now with the economy so bad. Somebody who would take the assistance for what it is, a helping hand, not a " right because I'm poor"

There has got to be people out there like us but so far I haven't run into any of them. I hate to group everybody together and just say that I don't take state pay but it's getting to that point
    Oh, how you are preaching to the choir. I WANT to say no more DHS, but over 80% of the calls I get are DHS. I would be completely out of business if I didn't take some. It's frustrating and I can't wait until my babies are born and my hubby puts in for his transfer to my home state of IL. It's not a LOT better, but nothing can be as bad as MI right now with this economy.

By the way, where ARE all the people like you - hardworking, just starting out, struggling, etc? I've actually been tempted to require an IQ test from the parents. I'm sorry but if you can't figure out what "2 weeks notice" means or understand "late payment fee: $5 per day assessed the day after the due date (usually at drop-off on Mondays)", I'm sorry you just can't be trusted to uphold a contractual agreement.

My MIL told me yesterday that when she was interviewing babysitters over 30 years ago, she told one girl that she was just looking for someone with "good common sense" and the girl replied, "what's common sense?" WHAT? Next ... Maybe that's what I should bring up during the interview process.

Leave a comment:

• Francine
    replied
    I would like to think that there are some hard working, honest people out there that just need a bit of help right now with the economy so bad. Somebody who would take the assistance for what it is, a helping hand, not a " right because I'm poor"

There was a period in our lives that my DH and I had to use it, he was in Mortuary School in Indiana, renting an apartment, paying utilities etc. and I was doing the same up here as well as paying daycare for our DD, all on my income. I was so grateful for the assistance, my DH hated take it but to me it was a godsend that I totally appreciated every single day that I had to use it. It was only for one year, once he graduated and got back to work we were fine but for that one year we needed the help. There has got to be people out there like us but so far I haven't run into any of them. I hate to group everybody together and just say that I don't take state pay but it's getting to that point

Leave a comment:

• professionalmom
    replied
    Originally posted by Childminder View Post
    Actually I think most of it stems from their insecurity as parents. They are in difficult situations and I am very happy that I am not in their shoes. However, this is business and they need to understand that when they sign a contract, they are responsible for the terms of that contract. And I am really tired of being told, "I'm a single mom, give me a break. I'm not lucky and have a husband like you do." Give me a break. It has nothing to do with luck (that I have a husband). It was responsible family planning. And it's NOT my fault that they are in their situations. I can sympathize until the cows come home, but it doesn't change the fact that "it's not my fault or my problem".

Like I said, I'm sure there are good, decent young, single parents out there working hard to get off assistance. I just have not had any of them come through my door yet.

Leave a comment:

• Francine
    replied
    Well I opened the curtains and unlocked the doors, if they show up now I will just tell them that they can't stay. The baby is now sleeping in the playroom, should have called! Not that I really think they will show up, why do they do this, it is so stupid.

Leave a comment:

• Childminder
    replied
    I really hate to say this, but in my experience DHS clients are the most demanding, bossy, yet irresponsible and cheap clients I have ever had. The ones that I have had were the 20-22 years old single mothers who acted (and even told me) that they knew more about children than me (I'm 35 and have been taking care of children since before these mothers were even born!). They think they're child is a genius and if (s)he is not hitting milestones at least two months ahead of schedule, it's your fault. They also ask about "curriculum" for 6 month olds! Then they complain about every dollar and dime. They even try to "barter" the rate I charge, even though they have signed a contract that spells everything out in almost too much detail! I am sure there are some young single moms struggling and being very responsible and very accommodating and only use the assistance as a hand up rather than a hand out. I just wish some of them would find their way to my house! However, the ones I have had have treated me like I owe them something just because of their "situation".

So I am not surprised that she flaked out on you. This is quite normal for the DHS crowd I have encountered in MI. They make interview appointments and no call no show; agree to start on a specific date so you hold the spot open and pass up others, just to get stood up or they call the day they are due to start and quit; they will start but as soon as money gets tight for them, they start trying to pick fights with you so they have a "reason" to quit. Oh, and many have a superiority complex where they think they own you and that you are their property. I had one tell me things like "YOU work for ME!" and "Maybe that's how it worked when you had a REAL job out in the REAL world". Needless to say, the DCM is gone. Oh, and she lost the SC lawsuit I filed against her. Karma!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X