X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• karen
    replied
    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am so happy to see that you keep the kids pictures private.
    Thanks! I also asked and had my parents sign a permission slip so I can post pics of the kids on my site.

Leave a comment:

• karen
    replied
    Thanks Michael I am going to register. I did not even think of that!

Leave a comment:

• sharlan
    replied
    Ok, I've decided to do it. It's going to take me some time as I have so much other stuff going on.

I'm going to go with the godaddy.com for the domain name and website.

Leave a comment:

• Gigi
    replied
    Hi there,

Sorry been quite busy lately, so here are my two cents on starting and maintaining a website for your daycare:

1. Get the domain name - Michael is right on in getting the domain name even if you do use a free website like weebly or wordpress... It establishes your identity, and from a parent's point of view - would be more professional too.

2. Highly recommend having a blog instead of just a website. You can include some daily tips on childcare on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and make sure you include your target keywords in the body of your post and your title post whenever you can. If you have a daycare in Atlanta, Georgia for example: having keywords show up twice or thrice per post "daycare in Atlanta" will help your website/ blog go up in Google search if someone types in those keywords.

3. In relation to no. 2 - two good blogging platforms to use is Blogger and Wordpress.com - with wordpress you can buy your chosen domain theme if available... But, I think you can get it cheaper at GoDaddy.com if it's available. In wordpress.com - I think it's about $10.00 and above a year.

4. Cover the basic pages or Navigation Tab:
    - Brief overview/ history of your daycare
    - WHO YOU ARE, your credentials
    - Some photos of the play area
    - Contact us info with Google map (listing your business in Google local directories is also a great way of getting your site up in the search pages)
    - Rates, Sample Day Sked and Downloadable contract in PDF (to sample)
    - A link to your facebook page and twitter too if possible.

Hope this helps anyone starting here!
    Last edited by Michael; 10-17-2011, 12:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by karen View Post
    Here is my website....

Feel free to use any of these ideas that you want. Pictures of the children are kept private and so is my contract. It is just a standard contract.
    I am really pleased with webs.com it was the easiest thing I ever did.
    Karen,

Now is the time to register KarensFamilyChildcare.com

Go to godaddy.com and purchase it. You should be able to also URL forward your website to your new domain name. That way you can advertise KarensFamilyChildcare.com on your stationary. KarensFamilyChildcare.com will be owned by you. karensfamilychildcare.webs.com is owned by webs.com

If webs.com ever goes out of business you will lose karensfamilychildcare.webs.com but you will never lose karensfamilychildcare.com since it is your property. Suggest you buy and promote that from now on.
    Last edited by Michael; 10-16-2011, 01:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    kids pics

Originally posted by karen View Post
    Here is my website....

Feel free to use any of these ideas that you want. Pictures of the children are kept private and so is my contract. It is just a standard contract.

I am so happy to see that you keep the kids pictures private.

Leave a comment:

• awestbrook713
    replied
    I don't have a website but I do have a page on facebook. I include pictures of crafts the children have done, list books I have read to the children, share recipes I have used in program. I also share learning websites I find helpful, daycare issues going on that I find important. It is still a small page and only a handful of people have liked it but its a start.

Leave a comment:

• KathiMora
    replied
    These are great tips and really helpful. However, following are a few more tips to build a website -

1. Buy a domain and a hosting plan. Prefer to buy both from a single vendor and try and get a deal.
    2. If you have low budget and are not comfortable with developing website on own then either -
    • go for some free CMS platforms like wordpress, joomla or
    • hire a web develop
      er

3.Write content for the website till the website is ready (website template to be specific)
    4. Add content and review the website carefully to ensure that it meets your expectations
    5. Get feedback from your friends on the website and let them try it to see if its useful. Take their feedback seriously
    6. Promote your website on facebook, twitter etc to get more and more people visit you

Leave a comment:

• sharlan
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Your state childcare licensing agency most likely already has your information public since it is public record. I suggest you post your general location or cross street and not your address.

I understand you wanting to keep your children as safe as possible while also acquiring potential clients. In reality if someone wanted to find a victim child they would not go through the trouble of searching out daycare facilities IMHO. It is the vulnerable child that is walking home alone that is most at risk.

When I was four years old, I was across the street from my home when a man drove up and opening the side door of his car asking if I wanted candy. The fact that my mother had just told me to never talk to strangers is what saved me. Prevention and a secure environment is what are most effective. Being aware of your environment and making your children aware of potential hazards is what is needed. I know we want our kids to live a blissful life but the world can be a dangerous place at times.
    OT - I had a friend,as a child, who was taken out of her stroller at her Mom's side while Christmas shopping.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Your state childcare licensing agency most likely already has your information public since it is public record. I suggest you post your general location or cross street and not your address.

I understand you wanting to keep your children as safe as possible while also acquiring potential clients. In reality if someone wanted to find a victim child they would not go through the trouble of searching out daycare facilities IMHO. It is the vulnerable child that is walking home alone that is most at risk.

When I was four years old, I was across the street from my home when a man drove up and opening the side door of his car asking if I wanted candy. The fact that my mother had just told me to never talk to strangers is what saved me. Prevention and a secure environment is what are most effective. Being aware of your environment and making your children aware of potential hazards is what is needed. I know we want our kids to live a blissful life but the world can be a dangerous place at times.
    Last edited by Michael; 10-12-2011, 02:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Website security questions

I am currently working on building my own daycare website, and so far it's going really well, and I'm having fun with it! BUt, now I have a few questions regarding personal security and how much information I should include on the website. It is a delicate balance between effectively marketing your business and keeping personal information private. For example, I am not going to give my address, but is it okay to list your town (I live in a very small one)? And, is it safe to include a photo of the outside of your daycare home? What about your last name? I would like to have one page, password protected, where I can post mainly photos for the families currently enrolled to see their children participating in activities or fieldtrips we have taken. I am thinking of using the free service "PoppyDog" to password protect that page of my site...is anyone familiar with this...if so, your thoughts? Thanks so much for any help! This forum has already been VERY helpful to me in creating my own website!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by thinkinboutstarting View Post
    I'm having a pretty good experience using godaddy.com. I'm still setting up my website but their program is pretty easy to use and I got a .com url for less than $3 a year. The website is $5.99 a month but I think it's worth it (and it's less if you sign up for a longer period - I only did 3 months). I tried to use webs.com and I didn't care for their site templates. There's very few options to customize. I'll post my site once its done.
    From what I've seen it looks like www.weebly.com has the best templates. If anyone has any other free websites offers, let me know.

Also, WordPress is a great program that is free but some computer knowledge is needed to set it up. They also have wonderful widgets allows you to use for free like a translator (you can see it on the Nashville music blog). We use wordpress for these blogs/sections and there are thousands of themes to choose from. This is the more advanced avenue of websites that I can speak more of in the future if interested.

www.Adopt.com/blog
    www.Daycare.com/nannyde/
    www.Nashville.com
    www.PalmSprings.com
    Last edited by Michael; 09-09-2019, 04:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• justgettingstarted
    replied
    I'm having a pretty good experience using godaddy.com. I'm still setting up my website but their program is pretty easy to use and I got a .com url for less than $3 a year. The website is $5.99 a month but I think it's worth it (and it's less if you sign up for a longer period - I only did 3 months). I tried to use webs.com and I didn't care for their site templates. There's very few options to customize. I'll post my site once its done.

Leave a comment:

• karen
    replied
    Here is my website....

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by godiva83 View Post
    If ads running down the side of your page and you don't care if you Have to add a site name after - I would use a free website application like webs.com
    It is so simple to use! I can PM you my address.
    However, no that I am with google apps I really like having my own personal domain name, IMO it seems more professional...putting more in, to get more out type of idea--- when my site is done I will PM you that also.

I would put a blurb about YOU and what makes you different from other HDC
    Maybe your history, how long you have been in business, education background, what you like best about HDC, what you will provide

I would put a rate/fee section
    Hours of operation
    A example of your programming (if you have)
    Your daily routine
    Pictures of your space ( remember no kids unless you have authorization)
    FAQ section
    The thing I like about Webs.com is they have a section for ppl to email you right from the site ( I got a lot of inquiries and clients that way)
    Good luck
    Also www.wix.com and www.weebly.com offer free websites.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X